icon

best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Perfect just wire those subs up like i wrote  earlier.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
BangBang wrote:

The best way to run it so you would get the most sound is wiring them Bridge them to one chan and get 500 watts RMS x 1

No, you wire bridged to 2 channels, not 1.  That's what bridging means...bridging between two channels.  You will not have another channel left over after bridging.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djhaf 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

would it sound better if i bridged the subs? or put one sub on each channel?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

You cannot bridge subs, you can bridge an amp. What this means is that in the case of a 2 channel amp, one channel is the negative and the other channel is the positive. In this case should you choose to bridge your amp there is only one possible safe way to do so, here it is. Failure to do this in this fashion will almost guarantee a failure of the amp or subs. I still however would put one sub to each channel.

Wiring Option #2

best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
BangBang wrote:

The best way to run it so you would get the most sound is wiring them Bridge them to one chan and get 500 watts RMS x 1

No, you wire bridged to 2 channels, not 1.  That's what bridging means...bridging between two channels.  You will not have another channel left over after bridging.

here incase you missed what i posted earlier.

This will help you understand what bridging means

Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:23 PM - IP Logged best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup? - Page 3 -- posted image.

woah woah , u dont wire whats shown above into one channel.

your using the xm-2200gtx amp right? the "1200" watt sony amp right?
If so you do not wire that set of subs just to one channel and leaving the other channel open free.
the positive wire from the subs to the amp is connected to the  "L" channel. which is to the left
of the high level input slot.
Then you would connect the negative wire from the subs to the  "R" channel of the amp. which is
to the left of the orange 40amp fuses.

???

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
If this is the same setup question that you IM'd me on earlier then your safest bet is to wire each sub to it's own channel for the 200x2@4ohms rating.
With (2) 4ohm SVC's you're limited in your wiring capibilities to wiring each sub independantly (stereo) at 4ohms per sub, wiring both subs in parallel mono/bridged at 2 ohms total, or both subs in series/parallel mono/bridged at 8ohms total.
With the amp specs you posted, you wont get squat out of the subs if you wired them in series/parallel at 8 ohms. You would maybe get 300 watts total, or apx 100 to 150 watts per sub.
You're amp isn't stable at a 2ohm mono load, so that counts out wiring them in parallel at 2 ohms. If you wired them in parallel at 2ohms, then you run a serious risk of damaging your amp and/or subs.
Thus, your best bet is to wire each sub to it's own channel in stereo at 4ohms per sub, and receive the apx. 200x2@4ohms rating.
Unfortunately your subs and amp are poor match for each other (and don't worry I'm not going to blast Sony in this post best sound w/Sony subs/amp setup? - Page 3 -- posted image.). The diagram below is you're best (and safest) chance for success using your current equipment.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Some people choose Sony, some Crunch, etc. No one gets into this game knowing everything there is to know, and no one can afford the best right off the bat! Don't let it get you down, keep learning, and boom responsibly.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
for the record i have wired up my sony 10's with the new sony mono sub amp and a sony 5700 deck and it sounds very very nice
Each of my subs are getting 250watts rms (or there abouts) from the amp, so I would think yours would need more. Its actually pretty easy to install subs if you already have a deck wired. Just round the rca's from the back to the amp, run the turn on lead from the blue or blue/white wire from the deck harness (check which one it is) and run the power wire through your firewall to the amp. Make sure to fuse it with a 80amp fuse or so about a foot from the battery, use an inline fuse that came with that kit. Then just wire the speaker wires from the amp to the subs and you are set.
best of luck
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Do your wiring, box building and get the stuff installed, then come back on here and we'll help you with setting the amp gain.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
BangBang wrote:

ignore stevdart he does not know mexican beans about this subject.

hez trying to correct me.

I wired up my subs exactly how i described.

and there not working.......??

cough* idoit cough*

BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Do your wiring, box building and get the stuff installed, then come back on here and we'll help you with setting the amp gain.

Do your reading in this forum and stuff, then come back and try TRY to correct me.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic