icon

Hardwiring Interior Neon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
weatherly 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am putting in one of those neon kits that pulses to the beat of the music. How would I go about hardwiring that to the cigarette lighter inside the car? It only has a cigarette lighter adapter coming from it. If I cut the wires, where would I connect them? Thanks.
Success Follows Struggle
CCroadshoptn 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
First find out which wire is positive (+) and negative (-). Ground the - to the chasis and power the + to the accessory wire on the ignition harness, be sure to fuse that + wire. Also wire your switch for the lights inline on the + wire for the neons. Now you can tap into the cig. lighter but i don't suggest it. It sometimes can lead to problems w/ it drawing to much power from that factory circuit. If u let me know what car you are putting the lights in i'll tell you what the acc. wire is.
Mecp Certified
Double check advice with your Meter.
weatherly 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
It's a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer.
Success Follows Struggle
redburn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

i kind of got the same problem with a headlight strobe i just bought....i have no clue to wire it..im just a newb

---===*****Redburn*****===---
redburn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

if it help si got a redline/quest strobe and have a swtich and bla bla..but not for sure what to hook up the pos(+) to..neg i think is chassis.

---===*****Redburn*****===---
brendo_87 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
the negative doesnt have to go all the way to the chassis, if you find a wire that is already grounded you can tap into that one and solder your negative onto that.
vanbulance_man 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
My friends and I installed some neons in my car....we just used some kits that were to be used to Underglows...it was really easy....it came with a switch, instructions, everything....I got it down at Autozone, great kit, I would just recommend buying one of those...nothing through the cigarette adapter at all....straight to the battery.
~Vanbulance Driver~
cs015271 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
A simple answer should due...these guys are new this was one of my first installs also.
If you are trying to hardwire the lights to the ciggarette lighter, gain access to the wires that supply power to it. There should be two! One of these wires is positive one is negative. (use of a voltmeter to distinguish the two is highly recomended) These two wires are used one to each end of the two wires coming from the neons. It is recomended that you hook the lights to a source in your car that shuts of when you remove the keys so choose wisely.
cs015271 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
you should not cut the wires going to the cig lighter completely but splice them this will make sure the cig lighter is still operable
Drey 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
don't splice it into the cig lighter.  even if you're a newbie it's not that bad.  first.... try and do some reading about 12volt stuff.... a good place to start is here :)  next, find your acc. wire! thats what you want, or you can put it on your parking lights, either will work. the toughest part is finding your wire.  once you find the wire, you have it made.  strip back the jacket without cutting the wire and wrap your neon's + wire to it.  when soldering, make sure you heat up the wire and have the solder on the wire so the wire "soaks up" the solder.  find a a nice little place around your dash to ground that biatch and you should have it made. just run the wire and mount your neons.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic