the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

SQ/ SPL system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Can you verify the sub amp for me, I was just on the Zapco site and did not see it listed there.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ashokn225 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden - the sub amp was the reference series 1100.1  - its on the website

velocity motors- i am not looking for spl...im leaning more towards sq than spl...and i never thought about actually competing ( im only 18 and this is for my personal car) haha but now that u mention it i guess i could compete in sql or something with the setup

bangbang- spl = sound pressure level and sq= sound quality

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

That's what I thought but your original post was a little off on the model number. It's best to be sure. Your amp is stable to 2 ohm mono and it is a beauty. I would use two single voice coil Eclipse aluminum subs, model# SW8122.4 or SW8102.4, a pair of 12" or a pair of 10". They both work amazing in small sealed boxes of as small as .5 cu.ft but start to shine when they reach 1.0 cu.ft. I personally like a 1.25 cu.ft sealed enclosure for each sub. These subs are capable of a good amount of SPL, care must be taken with the construction of the box, if you can double up on the front surface of the box, the baffle board, as these subs can easily rip out of 3/4" mdf due to their weight, the motion of the vehicle and the pressures that are generated inside of the box. Make real sure that box is mounted down real solid, a box that can vibrate or move will bleed off energy that should be coming at you in the form of sound.

Should you continue on this path you for sure could be competing and I would think that you would do quite well. I would choose the 12's over 10's if I had the room, even though the 10's can play the same deep bass and overall tones that the 12's can, the 12's can play the notes will a little more authority if asked to do so. Box size is the same for the 10's and 12's and the price is not drastically different bewteen the two sizes. Go with what will fit the vehicle or your budget. I personally use two of the 10's in my 93 MR2, if I could have fit the 12's I definitely would have.

sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
If size is any concern I like the B10s. You can stick 2 of them in under .75 cubes... No, not .75 per, I mean .75 for both drivers. Including driver displacement you are still looking at under 1 cubic foot for both woofers!!!
However, if you are competing in SPL competition I would suggest 12s minimum, ported.
Oh, SPL is sound pressure level (loud SQ/ SPL system - Page 2 -- posted image. ) and SQ is sound quality.
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

sorry if this is an extremely stupid question but, only being 18 and this being my first aftermarket car system I have to ask it,

if u suggest runnning two subs then dont i need 2 of the 1100.1's ......or can u hook up 2 subs to one of these amps?

thanks

id also like to mention that this is a kick ass forum...u guys are so fast in responding and posting....thanks for all the help so far guys

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

No question is stupid unless you asked it before and then didn't listen...so it's not stupid or even unusual.  You can wire subs together before they are hooked up to the amp.  A box with 2 or 4 subs in it are all connected together, and the connections they have determine the total impedence.  That total is referred to as a "load", and that load is connected to the amp.  Rockford has some good references to wiring here.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help and link man and i appreciate the acceptance....most forums flame the hell out of you if u ask one 'newbie ' question....its good to see that this is a forum of intelligent mature people
forbidden 
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
No you will not need two amplifiers in this case. As long as the load on the amp is within the applications of the amp you are fine, this is why I chose the single 4 ohm model of the subs instead of the dvc 4 ohm version of the same. For the amp it is about maintaining a load on the amp that the amp can sefely handle, I could infact hook even more subs up to this amp and still have it run safely but we do not need to go into that in your application. Even if you do not understand the response and need clarification, ask away, if after the 3rd time you do not get it then we may want to cut you up into little pieces and burn and bury the ashes with Sony and Bose equipment.
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
I would have to go with the alumiums becase their are no single 4ohm titanium subs right?
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

whoops....u already told me that that is the case

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic