calling all SPL monsters, again

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
septicdeath 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hey fellow noise makers.
I am at the last phase of my system redesign and have managed to put together some pretty decent equipment together.
Platform: 1998 Ford Expedition 4x4
Air space: Rear seat removed, rear cab available, but intentions to allow some room for groceries or stroller, hatch space aprox. is 52" long x 50" wide x 36" tall (deck to headliner), however, I wish to not go no higher/taller than 20" or deeper than 40" from the 2nd row seat backs, the entire 40" wide is fair game, that means I have about 19 cuft if I was to buld a crappy square monster box, however that is NOT a reality, lets just say I'm willing to find something that will work with 9 cuft BEFORE port/sub/interior wall displacement.
Since I'm talking enclosures, let me start ther. I just picked up (2) Memphis Audio MOJO mono blocks (2400W at 1ohm @15, so realisticly 2000w@1ohm @14). I have the power to feed the beasts (2 d34 Optima YT and a 260amp h/o alt, all wired dual 0/1 power, ground rings welded to frame. Battery grd/power to alt all dual 0/1.
I originally was going to use my (3) Power hX@ 3112 2ohm DVC subs with 2.5cuft after displacement for each ported enclosure. I was toying with playing around (I really dont know if it is even possible, but I dont see what it woulded as long as both amps are matched) with taking the first coil of sub1,2,3 and wiring them into a .68 ohm config, then doing exactly the same .68ohm wiring to the 2nd coils of sub1,2,3 and feeding them to the 2nd Mojo.
Im asking because just because I spent some money, DOESNT mean I have any clue about special wiring configurations and limitations.
I have been told, get real, the 3112's cant handle half of what they say they can, wire the (3) 3112's to a 1.34 ohm load and sell 1 of the mojo's. I have also been told that its my subs that are the limitation factor here, If I had a dollar for each response I have gotten from local shops about trading my RF 3112's for 3 new Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" and wire them at the .68 (sub1coil1, sub2coil1, sub3coil1) and .68 (sub1coil2,sub2coil2,sub3coil2) and present 1 mojo per wiring assembly. This system started off as me trying to do the BEST that I could with what I had resources to, unfortunantly I DONT know any installers and 80% of my budget went to equipment, so I have been learning on the fly as far as fabrication and design. I'm stepping back, and asking someone to let me know if I've been smoking crack or if the 3 IDmax coil1(s) and coil2(s) is possible/doable.
I have had 15" subs, dont like the sound, have had 10's and although cleaner, its PURE SPL that I am going for. 12's are what is going to have to work. I previously ran sealed enclosures, but have finally heard a correctly designed ported enclosure and realize that the reason I never liked them is because they were not designed right.
Sorry for all my rampling above, so know you know the power that I have/wish to use, with an approximent on max enclosure size, and know that I am asking someone to check my "wiring configuration" for validity, and then make a recomendation on a set of 3 subs with the intent of being wiried as mentioned above.
Thanks. BTW, Im not smoking anything.... :)
ahhaa
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

No don't do it, it is NOT a good idea to wire the two voice coils of a DVC sub to different amps.  You will very easily destroy the woofers doing this. 

I'll try to explain it simply.  DVC woofers have two seperate electrical windings that are physically mounted on the speaker cone.  The coil is a motor.  It converts electrical energy from the amplifier into a physical force, and this force moves the speaker cone back and forth.  If the two coils receive different signals, the forces they place on the cone will also be different.  In the worst case, one coil will puch "out" while the other pushes "in" and the cone stays still.  This leads to fried coils.

It is impossible for two seperate amplfiers to generate the exact same signal (without some sophisticated feedback circuitry called "slaving" one off another.  And even then the amps will not produce the 100% exact same signal.)

The only wiring configuration for your subs (I assume they are DVC @ 4-ohms per coil?) is all six voice coils in parallel for a net 0.66 ohm load) or series-parallel (each sub wired in series for 8-ohms per sub, then these three 8-ohm loads paralleled) for a net 2.66 ohm load.

There is no easy way to wire two amps to three subs and balance the load.  You can wire two to one and one to the other or something like that if you want to...

Someone correct me if I've missed something.

Support the12volt.com
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

well, my 2 cents for right now: you are totally contradicting yourself. You want TOTAL SPL, yet you only want 12's..... if you wanted TOTAL SPL, sound quality wouldnt matter a bit to you. TOTAL SPL requires BIIIIG woofers, and even BIIIIGERRR boxes. I dont think i'll be the only person to say this either.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Dyon, I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you.  But you are partially right.  Here's an exerpt on DVC wiring from one of our tech papers:

"Copyright Ó Adire AudioÒ All Rights Reserved. Visit Adire Audio at http://www.adireaudio.com

There's one thing that often comes up about wiring DVC subs, and that is the mistaken conclusion that running different signals to each voice coil will "ruin" the driver. Let's recall how a dual voice coil driver is built. Basically, a dual voice coil driver consists of two motors (the voice coils) co-axially mounted (that is, wound together on the former) to a single diaphragm. The net force on the diaphragm is the sum of the inputs of the two motors.

Now, when you feed disparate signals to the motors, they do try to counteract each other. However, this will NOT result in mechanical stress in the system!

Why? Well, remember how a dynamic cone driver works. You have a static magnetic field from the permanent magnet. Then you have a dynamic magnetic field from the voice coils. It's the interaction of these two fields that generates the force that moves the voice coils/former that are attached to the diaphragm. Thus when the voice coil dynamic fields push against the magnet's static field, you generate a force on the former, which pushes on the diaphragm, and that pushes on the air, generating your acoustical wave.

Now, when you feed the same signal to both voice coils of the driver, the dynamic fields of each coil are the same. They add together, and generate one single force (equal to the sum of the two individual forces) against the static field. Presto, cone motion.

Take the "worst case" situation. You wire the two voice coils out of phase. At first, you think one coil is trying to push forward, the other backward, and suddenly the system tears itself apart, right?

Nope. What happens is that one coil sets up a dynamic field. Let's say, for clarification, that coil 1 generates a signal to push the diaphragm forward. Since coil 2 is wired in opposite phase, it sets up a dynamic field to push the diaphragm backward. Net result is that the two magnetic fields CANCEL themselves out! That is, the dynamic field that's pushing on the static field from the magnets is ZERO. The field from coil 2 adds to the field of coil 1 in such a way that the net field is zero. Much like adding a two sine waves of the same frequency that are shifted by 180 degrees.

This is the SAME basic principle with shielded drivers that use bucking magnets. Use a field of the opposite polarity to cancel the original field out. If the driver's motor magnet has a given polarity, use the bucking magnet to introduce a field of opposite polarity, so that the two fields cancel themselves out. Net result is no field.

So, when we run two different signals to the voice coils, what we find is that the magnetic fields of the two combine to generate a net TOTAL field that interacts with the static field of the magnets. The two voice coils NEVER fight each other in a physical way; it's all in the magnetic field.

Dual Voice Coil Drivers 3

Now, you might say, what about the increase in heat? After all, most subwoofers rely on the conversion of electrical power to acoustic power to lower the dissipation in the driver, right?

Again, wrong. Look at the parameters of a typical subwoofer. Look specifically at N0 (eta naught). This is the parameter that gives the electrical-to-acoustical power conversion efficiency of the driver.

This number, for most dynamic cone subwoofers, is less than 0.5%. In a FEW cases, it may be as high as 3%. But, for the most part, you'll see N0 well below 1%. What N0 represents is the percentage of electrical power that's transformed into acoustical power. For example, let's take a driver with an N0 of 1%. Apply 100W to the driver. Of the 100W electrical power delivered, 1%, or 1W, is converted to acoustic power (1%). The other 99%, or 99W, is converted to heat.

Look at a typical dual voice coil sub, such as Shiva. It's N0 is ~0.4%. This number is VERY comparable to other 12" DIY high-end subs out there, and represents a driver with an 88 dB SPL rating.

Now, apply 300W electrical power. Wire the voice coils in parallel, in the same electrical phase. We'll get our acoustical output, or (300 * 0.004) 1.2 acoustical Watts of power out. The other 298.8W of electrical power is dissipated as heat.

Now wire the two voice coils out of phase. What will happen? Well, we know from the above that the two magnetic fields from the voice coils cancel each other out, so there's no net cone motion. Thus our acoustic power output is zero (can't have any, if the cone doesn't move).

That means ALL the power is dissipated as heat within the driver. How much? 300W. Compare this to the situation where the two voice coils are connected in the same polarity: 298.8W. Net difference? 1.2W of dissipation. In essence, you will cause exactly 1.2W of extra power dissipation in the system by crosswiring the voice coils.

Now, is that 1.2W extra heat going to be a problem? Most likely, no. If a driver is rated to handle 300W, chances are it's not going to have a problem with 301.2W. 400W, sure, but a 0.4% increase in power dissipated? Well, the temperature of the voice coils may raise another 0.1 degree C, but that's about it.

Anyway, the net result is that the increase in heat from dissipation is essentially zero. The one area of consideration is that self-cooling of a driver is reduced when motion is reduced. So the driver can handle the out-of-phase situation for a little while, but because of the reduced cooling, heat will build up faster."

Here's a link to the tech paper this was taken from: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DualVoiceCoilDrivers.pdf

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

septicdeath 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
thapimpfromchi, as my wife would say, I contridict myself quite frequently. let me rephase the question, using 12" subs and the power available, what subs would creat the greatest SPL. The sound of a 15 to me could be most described as moving air, I perfer the tighter sound that 12's make, much the same way plenty of members here will vote for 10's and 8's for the even tighter sound.
Very informative clip/paste, I'll have to take the time to read it. I actually was at a competition where a memphis audio team member was using 24 amps to run 6 MA 15" MOJO's with Quad Voice coils. Each voice coil got its own amp. Without much more than basic wiring experiences I just assumed that 4 diffrent amps going to one quad coil sub wasnt much more diffrent then using one amp to hit one side of of a dvc in a parallel/serial string of coil 1 at all 3, and a 2nd amp to coil2 of all three.
The MA does have a bridging module, but I have heard NOT to use it, have not heard why, just not to use it.
I guess I need to play around with my options, I have the area for 8-9 cuft of enclosure, and 2 amps to play with, currently had 3 3112's which is where the (3) drivers # came from, I know the IDMAX call for about 2.5cuft ported as well, so I stuck with that number. I suppose, a hybrid of 2 3112's wired to one amp, and a single 15" wired to the 2nd could be just as easy. Like I said, I have the (3) 3112's, very easy to sell 1 and add to it and put a 15 in.
Thanks for the technical stuff their Steven, I need to read that again, before its late at night, I believe top have read that it is better to send the same amp toboth coils, but if in phase correctly seperate amps driving them would be okay, at a cost of heat, but not destroying the speakers, also the "worst case scenario" of out of phase from diffrent amps would still not destroy the speaker, but in lamans terms, pushing while pulling = no movement = no sound/poor sound...
all, Talk to you soon
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

septicdeath wrote:
thapimpfromchi, as my wife would say, I contridict myself quite frequently. let me rephase the question, using 12" subs and the power available, what subs would creat the greatest SPL. The sound of a 15 to me could be most described as moving air, I perfer the tighter sound that 12's make, much the same way plenty of members here will vote for 10's and 8's for the even tighter sound.

Actually that's more from frequency response than driver size.  If you have a boost of the higher bass frequencies, then it will sound tighter.  But you will be missing out on a lot of the lower stuff.  Having the lower frequencies boosted will make it sound more boomy.  But you can have 15" subs that don't do well down low, or 10" subs that have more low  end depending on the install.  It's all a matter of frequency response.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

Very good info, Mr. Kephart.  Thanks.  I agree completely with the mecahnical stress portion of the description, but have to say that the thermal portion is not complete.  In SOME CASES, of course your paper is correct, the additional thermal load from the VC being forced into a zero momentum condition will not result in dangerous heat loads, but in others it can almost instantly cause damage.  I guess it depends on the driver design and the amps and how close to thermal maximum the power loading is to begin with, but I've seen it happen (specifically with Infinity Beta series woofers.)  I've even seen damage occur when different frequency bands are applied to the VCs through crossover design (this was on a MTX woofer as I recall.)  Other undesireable effects include loss of net output whenever VC signals cancel each other, increased audible distortion from cross-talk and other magnetic and physical non-linearities created inside the motor structure, and changes in the T/S electrical parameters of the driver.

On the other hand, I have also gang-amped SPL systems for people and never given it much thought since I knew the life expectancy of true SPL competition cars is a moot point as long as they make it through the meet!  Unless someone states otherwise, I try to generalize my answers on the forum for all applications, and I maintain that it is safer and better for the drivers to ensure unity amplifier signal on DVC drivers.

Thanks, and please feel free to disagree any time!

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Very good info, Mr. Kephart.  Thanks.  I agree completely with the mecahnical stress portion of the description, but have to say that the thermal portion is not complete.  In SOME CASES, of course your paper is correct, the additional thermal load from the VC being forced into a zero momentum condition will not result in dangerous heat loads, but in others it can almost instantly cause damage.  I guess it depends on the driver design and the amps and how close to thermal maximum the power loading is to begin with, but I've seen it happen

That I don't know.  I will have to ask Dan about that as he is the one who wrote the paper, and is the real expert (at least in my case).  But I feel the paper proved that except in this worse case senario, there shouldn't be any damage because there really isn't any more power.  The damage only comes when there is no movement (less cooling), which only happens when the coils are wired out of phase from eachother.

DYohn wrote:
 (specifically with Infinity Beta series woofers.)

My friend runs those.  In fact I would have if they weren't out and I hadn't gotten my a/d/s/ subs instead.  Those Beta drivers were very nice.

DYohn wrote:
   Other undesireable effects include loss of net output whenever VC signals cancel each other, increased audible distortion from cross-talk and other magnetic and physical non-linearities created inside the motor structure, and changes in the T/S electrical parameters of the driver.

And that's where I was agreeing that it isn't a good idea.  Especially for a daily driver.  Although I don't think it would hurt anything, it sure wouldn't sound very good. calling all SPL monsters, again -- posted image.

DYohn wrote:
  Thanks, and please feel free to disagree any time!

I'll definitely feel free, but I don't see it happening very often.  I have been VERY impressed with your knowledge and experience.  I was rather surprised when you said you have used our products, especially the Tumult.  Sorry to bring this off topic, but I am very curious to hear what you thought about it.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

audioconnection 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
dyon wrote:    the life expectancy of true SPL competition cars is a moot point as long as they make it through the meet! ....this is by far the best statement made. though i enjoyed reading the information posted, if the customer wants spl even thought it may be in a daily driver..its our job to inform them of the outcome and expense of going through subs.
remember...Friends Dont let friends Install, Take it to a pro..
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah . What ever you guys said i agree.

Just take it to a professional and ask them to do it.
I"m not even sure what you guys are talking about.  To advance for me.

Well what ever you guys are doing. Good Luck in meeting your goal.

What does SPL stand for?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic