icon

calling all SPL monsters, again

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
even though it gets posted in so many of the posts on here and nobody bothers to look it up in the glossary. SPL= Sound Pressure Level
Quad L Handyman services
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
  I was rather surprised when you said you have used our products, especially the Tumult.  Sorry to bring this off topic, but I am very curious to hear what you thought about it.

I used a pair of Tumults in a stereo configuration in a THX home theatre instalaltion in southern California.  Each was used down-firing in a 5 cuft ported enclosure and driven by Krell class A monoblocks.  Needless to say they shook the 700 sqft room to the foundations very nicely, thank you, and we achieved flat response (including room coupling) to 14Hz.  Also used four AV8's for mid-bass and they sounded very neutral, I was impressed.

Support the12volt.com
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

calling all SPL monsters, again - Page 2 -- posted image.  Dyohn that would rock!  I need some money.calling all SPL monsters, again - Page 2 -- posted image.

I say get a fourth sub, have two amps; each powering two.  Simplifies everything.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ketel22 wrote:
even though it gets posted in so many of the posts on here and nobody bothers to look it up in the glossary. SPL= Sound Pressure Level
Thanks but didn't know SPL would be in the glossary.

Can you look up LFR ?

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
Bangbang, start here: https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/caraudio.asp  You'll see the link for the glossary.
Support the12volt.com
Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

For SPL ported is defiantly the way to go. First measure the length of the cabin area from the from the middle of the windshield to the rear of the cabin or to the front of the box witch ever is first.  There is a formula for calculating the distance into a freq. (sorry it escapes me right now, but if you cant find it let me know I will dig it up) this will be the rough freq that you will want to aim for when building your ported enclosure. This can greatly improve your SPL numbers.

MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I used a pair of Tumults in a stereo configuration in a THX home theatre instalaltion in southern California.  Each was used down-firing in a 5 cuft ported enclosure and driven by Krell class A monoblocks.  Needless to say they shook the 700 sqft room to the foundations very nicely, thank you, and we achieved flat response (including room coupling) to 14Hz.  Also used four AV8's for mid-bass and they sounded very neutral, I was impressed.

Thanks for answering.  I'm not surprised at those results.  But I guess I was more wondering what you thought about their "sound".  They use our XBL^2 motor, which gives them an almost "transparent" sound.  I've listened to some pretty high end subs, and they always sound so much more boomy in the low end.  I was wondering if you noticed. 

Some people don't like it though because it doesn't sound as "warm".

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Funny you should describe their sound as "transparent," as I thought they sounded very much like woofers from ESS in the old days.  Remember their slogan, "Sound as Clear as Light."  That was for the AMT tweeters, actually, but their woofers were great too.  The Tumult reminded me of them.  Very clean uncolored sound that did not change the character of the instruments during playback, which is a prime criteria.  No measureable distortion.  Slight boominess around 23Hz as I recall but I suspect that was due to the port tuning and not the subs.  We had to redo the ports three or four times to get it right and eliminate port breathing.  Also if I recall correctly we sustained 123db or so at 40Hz.  Damn heavy things for 15's, but I was impressed that their performance rivaled 18's.  And for the price they are winners.  I'll use them again.
Support the12volt.com
xThumPx 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
This is the longest post I've ever seen. Great info, though!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

That's what I was looking for.  Thanks Dyohn for the kind words.  What you heard was the results of our XBL^2 motor.  It keeps the BL the same throughout excursion, which greatly reduces distortion.  If you ever get a chance to audition some of our car subs (Brahma's and now the Koda subs), you will find the same results.

I hope I don't come off as preachy though.  My intent wasn't to "sell" our product, but to find out what one of the more respected members thought about it.  We find that some people don't like that sound.  It's nice to know that you did.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic