icon

amp wiring location for mitsubishi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kahlilj 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
amp wiring location for mitsubishi -- posted image.i'm a newbie at this so please have patience with me.. i'm trying to install an amp in my 90 eclipse and am not sure where to penetrate the firewall to run an 8 gauge power wire. for any folks who have done this on similar car, where did u take your wire thru? an existing hole/location in firewall or did u drill a new hole? if u did drill, where would u suggest to penetrate to avoid any damage or problems??
i'm assuming since my battery is on passenger side & amp will be as well, that is the best side to run power wire thru right?
thanks for your help!

kj
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, not familiar with that particular car, but is there room to just make a small cut in the gromet around the steering column? Thats what i usually do on older cars and its real easy to penetrate that.
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
kahlilj wrote:
amp wiring location for mitsubishi -- posted image.i'm a newbie at this so please have patience with me.. i'm trying to install an amp in my 90 eclipse and am not sure where to penetrate the firewall to run an 8 gauge power wire. for any folks who have done this on similar car, where did u take your wire thru? an existing hole/location in firewall or did u drill a new hole? if u did drill, where would u suggest to penetrate to avoid any damage or problems??
i'm assuming since my battery is on passenger side & amp will be as well, that is the best side to run power wire thru right?
thanks for your help!

Ok this maybe a newbie question but what the heck is a firewall.

I PROBABLY ALREADY WHAT IT IS but not know the TERM for it. SO what is a firewall?
Ok, to answer your question:
The battery is on the passenger side. so your best bet is to drill a hole if there is not already one.  im not sure where though but make sure its away from any moving parts or hot parts as well.

The amp does not neccarassararrily have to be on the same side . it'd be great if the wire is not so long though. 

so yes run your power wire through along with your REMOTE WIRE.

Then run the RCA wires on the driver side.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
A firewall is the wall that seperates the passengar compartment from the engine compartment. Alot of times it's easier to run the power wire on the drivers side. Your remote wire can run with your rca cables and not cause any noise problems. It's fine running with your power wire also.
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok for a honda civic 95
The battery is on the passenger side.
so what your saying is that i should run the wire across to the driver side?
or do you know the best place to drill a hole?
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

BangBang wrote:
ok for a honda civic 95
The battery is on the passenger side.
so what your saying is that i should run the wire across to the driver side?
or do you know the best place to drill a hole?

Not neccesarily, I just find that there is usually a hole already there or is easier to drill on the drivers side. Every car and truck is different, so just look around inside for the best route.

kahlilj 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

thanks guys. well last nite after giving up on finding an existing hole to run power wire thru, i drilled a couple of pilots holes.  i say couple because the the 1st hole i drilled (from the interirorpassenger side footwell area) did not show up in the engine compartment!!  i used a small bit size (~5/32" or so) and drilled right thru.  poked a hanger wire thru  at least 10" or so; looked in the engine compartment for it, but could not see it!!   amp wiring location for mitsubishi -- posted image. 

i am not sure if the hole was drilled in some pocket on the engine side of the firewall or what.  i'm pretty sure it did not go in the tire well area tho.  ...????

anyway i drilled another hole closer to the center of the car & slightly lower, but  SAME RESULT!!!???  i have no idea where this hole leads to. i saw NOTHING in the engine side even after poking hnager wire several inches thru.  what gives!?!?!?!  i feel like a dummy or something.  this should not be that hard!

i located what i thought was a clear area in engine compartement side just below battery level and its corresponding side in the interior; drilled and got nothing.  has anyone ever done this on an eclipse before??  or can someone please tell me how YOU determine the best area to drill thru firewall?    please help!! 

kj
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Try looking for an area inside of the engine compartment to drill through (try to guess where the spot is inside the vehicle also before you drill). Usually there is room for a hole on the drivers side, on the left side of the steering column. Just keep lookng, and dont drill through anything.
kahlilj 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

customsuburb wrote:
Try looking for an area inside of the engine compartment to drill through (try to guess where the spot is inside the vehicle also before you drill). Usually there is room for a hole on the drivers side, on the left side of the steering column. Just keep lookng, and dont drill through anything.

that's what i did.  unfortunately i must have been misaligned.  i even used a tape measure to get the vertical height (from the ground).  took that same tape and placed it in engine side on the ground to ensure it was about the same vertical height. but it seems myabe my horizontal distance was off??  any suggestions on how to locate the exact location when its only one person?

kj
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well... about all I can think of is to look for things (like hoses or wiring harneses) that go through the firewall and try to find the location of those inside the vehicle also and then drill a hole.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic