icon

Bodykit molding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drunkenbreaker 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

don't start yet, You're lacking the correct information.  I sounds like you're talking about building a kit from scratch.  Most of the post are about molding a finished kit to your car. 

There are many ways to do this, starting from scratch is the hardest and worst way to do it.  If you could do it in your garage easily they wouldn't cost $700 plus dollars for one already made because everyone would be selling them.  scratch that idea.

Second is to "add-on" this is a method used by the legend chip foose and his crew.  they take the stock bumpers and mold clay on to it and then create a reverse mold from that.  This is really hard because you need to be a proficient sculpter to do this correctly.  I really don't suggest this, because after the reverse mold  you then have to apply mold release then fiberglass the cure then pull then finish.  It will cost you more than taking it somewhere.

Third and the best way, is to take a similar cars bodykit and customize it to fit.  Right now we are fitting a 92-95 civic body kit to a 99 kia sportage.  Huge difference, but the rear and sides were almost a perfect fit.   The front could have fit better but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.  Post the make of car and I'm sure we could help to figure out what car best fits.

This is definately the cheapest route.

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Humm, good idea drunken.... lol love the name... anyway, its an older I think 89 celica. We think the old Honda Del Sols have a simular bumper that were thinking of modifying to make like an add-on kit since del sol's sit pretty low, were looking to have between 2 and 4 inches of clearance in the front and about 6 in the back for an exaust system. Anyway, if ya'll know anything simular to a 89 celica let me know. Thanks again drunken
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
drunkenbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

I found this pic of an 89 celica.

Bodykit molding - Page 2 -- posted image.
That white line I drew is the end of the bumper.  It has a very large front fender.  If this is, in fact, the right car then I suggest starting with a 88-91 honda civic body kit.  Fortunately you can find those kits cheap on ebay or on sensemotorsports.  You want a kit like that because there is no definition on the top of the bumper where it meets the grill and headlights.  It is the same on the old civics.  I would fit the bumper and then cut the fender to fit the bumper.  I wouldn't try to modify the bumper to fit the fender.

Bodykit molding - Page 2 -- posted image.

see how flat the top is.  This is the Black Widow kit for an 88 civic.  I think that would be the best fit.

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Wait why couldnt he do the molding with clay, that sounds easy. Get a non-drying clay and take the bumper off and just start molding. When your down lay down thin sheets of tin foil all around it (which will easily stick to the clay) then make a mold of that and you have your body kit ready to be glassed more and whatnot. Wouldnt that work?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
I see what drunken is saying. Cuz one, I'm sure a molding clay isn't exactly cheap (could be wrong dont have a clue what clay would cost) and I'm not exactly the best clay molder in the world. I think it would probably be easier to mold an existing kit to his body and just customize the fit. It would be an interesting project to take on if I could find a cheap enough clay that if I screw up I can redo it.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
damn, giving away Team Werks secrets. shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
always looking for new info and willing to give it
drunkenbreaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

the problem isn't the price of clay, it's the price of all the reverse mold supplies.  After that you still have the price of the actual bumper materials.  I just purchased a gelcoat/poly resin gun for $120 that's already a 5th of the price of a bodykit and that's not even close to everything you need.  a strand chopper is another $300.

shopmaninc.com has all the products for building and releasing molds if you're still interested.

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
"always looking for new info and willing to give it"
lol
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
lol i can admit im wrong when i am. i learn from it. and i pass it on. some on here are the exact opposite. im not perfect. i wish i was. i wouldnt have to read stupid forums to get info that i need cause im too cheap to buy the books.
always looking for new info and willing to give it
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'm actually custom making a kit for my '88 Celica hatchback right now. All I've really done so far is mold the front lip together and fill the holes in it with fiberglass, made some curved molds and then fiberglassed them to the rear of the car, and placed some factory side skirts from a junkyard a couple inches under the car and then fiberglassed that shape to the car. I think the kit is looking pretty good personally, and I can take a couple pics if you'd like to see what I've done so far. :)
Also, there is a kit made for the fourth generation Celicas. It's the Aeroform kit, and some people have it, but I personally don't like it much.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic