icon

Here's a story everyone will like!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

About a week ago, my girl noticed someone looking in her car one night.  She has 2 Audiobahn 10's and 2 amps so she was worried about getting her stuff stolen again(someone stole her subs a year ago).  So she asked me to attach her box using some metal brackets.  I deliberately used 2 different kinds of bolts to fasten everything.  One kind has a 10mm socket head, the other has a square hole in the head.  I figured that not many thieves carry the necessary tools to remove these kinds of bolts, and at least it would take some serious effort to remove them. 

Well it was worth the trouble cuz like 2 nights later some crack-head broke her window and tried to grab her stuff.  Luckily her factory alarm went off and the guy takes off, causing some neighbors to look outside and call the cops.  The guy comes back a minute later.  This time he pops the hood and disconnects the battery cable.  He begins to attempt to pry the brackets off.  He is so preoccupied that he doesn't hear the cops roll up.  They found him w his legs dangling out her rear window.  Apparently he was inside the car wrestling w the box for almost 10 minutes(a neighbor saw the whole thing out her window). 

The thief, a local drug-addict/general scumbag had warrants and is now where he belongs, behind bars.  My girl still has her system and everyone is happy.  This just goes to show you you never can be too careful.  Plus, I thought I had a good idea using 2 different types of screws.  

mikep3 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Nicely done. Good to hear one of these stories turning out the right way. I ended up using carriage bolts on my system. The only way to take it out is knowing the sequence that i put it in and knowing where the hidden screws are to get at the bottom of the bolts.
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome! I always use different types of screws, and I am glad to see it actually does work.
Tim-May!
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
what are carriage bolts?? my sytems not bolted down ( it doesnt even look like I have a system the way my car looks... but id like to consider bolting it down... what should I buy ???
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
NINsane18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
You can find carraige bolts at any hardware store. Home Depot and Lowes have a big selection. They are the type of bolt that holds your frame together on your car and hold the bed of pickups down for a few examples. The bolts, washers, and nuts are pretty cheap, good insurance in this case. It is also nice in case you are in an accident, the box will stay put.
Tim-May!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I like the story.  Good tip in using different bolt heads.  And no Audiobahn stickers on the windows either, right?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

It pays to think about these things when you're installing aftermarket systems. I myself have had a few bad experiences. Nice job!!

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
I like the story.  Good tip in using different bolt heads.  And no Audiobahn stickers on the windows either, right?

I see cars all the time with huge stickers advertising their systems. Why not just put a big "Steal Me" sticker on it.

$uperflame$ 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
thats a ok story, but my brother had his blazer broke into 3 times trying to get his subs and never got them because the box is so large it wouldnt fit out any of the windows,but 2pryed locks & 3 broke windows gets old, and one time the crack head got cought
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Stevdart, it's funny you mention the Audiobahn sticker-cuz last year when my girl's car was broken into, she DID have that sticker!  I warned her over and over again-but she wanted to learn the hard way not to advertise.  Hmph, women-what can you do!   Anyway, if anyone is interested, I used steele brackets from Home Depot.  I think they're used for framing houses.  If painted to match your car or trunk color theme-they can actually look cool too.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic