icon

Unknown names in Subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

The 12's are for the punchier bass and the 15 will be for the low rumbles. I saw a setup like this with in an expedition and it was amazing. The 12's were setup with a bandpass filter around 75hz - 150hz and the 15 was setup with a lowpass at 80hz. I liked the setup.

Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

Chappy wrote:
The 12's are for the punchier bass and the 15 will be for the low rumbles. I saw a setup like this with in an expedition and it was amazing. The 12's were setup with a bandpass filter around 75hz - 150hz and the 15 was setup with a lowpass at 80hz. I liked the setup.

What you've described is the perfect way to use mixed sizes.  Set up correctly and with the right drivers, it can really be effective.  Then add a set of 7" or 8" woofers in stereo crossed between 150 and 600 Hz for the full ffect...

Support the12volt.com
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Alpine, Infinity, Rockford, ect.  We all know these brands for a reason-they have been producing quality products long enough to be recognized as such.  They are big companys that have the $$ for research and development, marketing, and extensive testing.  They have been proven over and over again at making products to exceed the customer's expectations.  Are their products infallable-No.  Of course sometimes there are defects in materials or manufactoring.  But that's what warranties are for, right.  In my experience you get what you pay for.  You're not just buying the name Alpine, you're buying the quality product behind the name.  That's not to say you can't get a good product from Pyramid, I just wouldn't reccomend itUnknown names in Subwoofers - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Chappy wrote:

What you've described is the perfect way to use mixed sizes.  Set up correctly and with the right drivers, it can really be effective.  Then add a set of 7" or 8" woofers in stereo crossed between 150 and 600 Hz for the full ffect...

Yes, that's true.  But he could get the same results from a good 15 that is properly setup (minus the 12's).  Plus he would save on room and power.  But if he does want to break it up like that, I suggest using 8's instead of 12's.

But I personally wouldn't want so much coming from the rear.  If possible, you want your front speakers to be able to play down to around 60 Hz, and have your subs pick up in the back from there.  That will reduce localization that way.  Maybe a better option would be a better midrange up front to give you those lows.  Or go with the above suggestion and use dedicated midbasses up front, but have them play down to 60 Hz.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

soundxga 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
MA Audio is pretty good, and inexpensive....I currently run an MA Audio 8" sub, and MA Audio tweets in my 92 Ranger and have not had any problems out of them, plus they sound great.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

Back to the original question:

Chappy wrote:
Everyone knows the big names in car audio... Alpine, Infinity, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, etc. But what about the names that aren't so big like Pyle,  Earthquake, and Pyramid? I know there are more. I want to know any experiences anyone has had with other brands of subs and amps so that I can find better speakers for the price. I hate having to pay more for a label.

Pyle, Earthquakle and Pyramid are very well-known names.  Pyle and Pyramid are ultra-low-end margional quality and not recomended if you care about sound quality or longevity.  Earthquake (Hohmann International) on the other hand is a very good brand (located right down the street from my office) that compares favorably with high end brands like Morel or Dynaudio, but they can be hard to find.  Their Magma car woofers are fantastic and their amps are quite good.  They make a superb line of home theatre equipment (their SuperNova sub woofer is one of the best for the price.)  Highly recomended if you can find their gear.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic