icon

Dodge Ram sub install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ss586 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram standard cab, My original plan was to run 4-10's behind the seat. Now I have to work on a budget, and I'm thinking about tearing my center seat out and building a down firing slot ported box for a single 12" Lightning Audio Strike VC2. Has anybody ever done this? (besides the JL stealth box). If so, how did it sound?  After the box is done, it will be re-wrapped in the factory seat cover with some foam so it looks stock.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Just for reference, the rest of the system will consist of............Lightning Audio S2.800.4 staggered 4-channel 60x2 front and 600x1 sub, Lightning Audio Storm 61/2" components, and eclipse cd8454.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
bump
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
It should sound fine. Just make sure you can use that sub in a down firing application.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Not a good match or sub to amp. The sub is great and the amp is great but together they are not in harmony. Unless you are going to wire the sub in series to 8ohms, then the amp will love you. I love these subs but I would choose a sub with a single 4 ohm voice coil instead for a better use of the amplifiers abilities. The other option for you is to use two Strike SVC 8 ohm subs that are one series down. They work just fine as well in small sealed boxes. I have done 4 10's in your truck with amazing results in a sealed box behind the seat.  Matter of fact it was done with Lightning Audio Strike subs.  I would also consider a MB Quart Ref or of course a Eclipse Aluminum SVC for this application. Need more input, post up your requests.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
Well, in that case, maybe I'll switch to a Rockford Punch P3 dual 8ohm. Considering its almost the exact same sub.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Dual 2 ohm I meant...........sorry.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Not a good match or sub to amp. The sub is great and the amp is great but together they are not in harmony. Unless you are going to wire the sub in series to 8ohms, then the amp will love you. I love these subs but I would choose a sub with a single 4 ohm voice coil instead for a better use of the amplifiers abilities. The other option for you is to use two Strike SVC 8 ohm subs that are one series down. They work just fine as well in small sealed boxes. I have done 4 10's in your truck with amazing results in a sealed box behind the seat.  Matter of fact it was done with Lightning Audio Strike subs.  I would also consider a MB Quart Ref or of course a Eclipse Aluminum SVC for this application. Need more input, post up your requests.

Well, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. One amp, one sub, one set of components, thats it. But wanna give ppl. the WOW factor telling them thats all I have after they listen to it. Ya know what I mean???

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Which is why I would use the one Eclipse aluminum or Titanium in a sealed box. Dodge Ram sub install -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ss586 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
Which is why I would use the one Eclipse aluminum or Titanium in a sealed box. Dodge Ram sub install -- posted image.

True, but at the shop I work at one of my installers already has the Eclipse subs. So I wanted to do something different. Plus I didnt wanna have to run 2 seperate amps. My options are Eclipse, ADS, Lightning Audio, Rockford, MB Quart, Blaupunkt (which Im not even gonna consider), or PPI. I think the new Punch P3 in the right box would sound really good.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic