icon

Remote Starter on Manual

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bowtie 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
anyone ever put a remote starter on a manual trans vehice before, if so, how did you make the neutral saftey system, and bypass the need to have the clutch in when you start it?
kragan79 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

I am half way through the install of one now. I bypassed the cluth by tapping into the 2 wires coming off of the cluth sensor and installing a switch. When the switch is in the "on" position the clutch is bypassed and I "hopefully" will be able to remote start. When the switch is in the "off" postion the clutch is back to working like factory.  So far with the switch in the "on" position I can start the car with the key without pressing the clutch in. So I know that the switch is working. I did not bypass the cluth completely because if I ever let someone else drive the car I can flip the switch to the "off" position just in case they decide to leave the car in gear and remote start.

I am going to finish up the install tomorrow, hopefully all will go well.

onlyremotes 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
If you really like your car and enjoy your freedom, do not install a remote start in a manual trans. You will forget and leave it in gear. I have heard and seen horror stories. I've been doing this for over 18 years.
Walton Guerrero-Installer/Distributor
Alltech Electronics,Inc
3732 Grissom Lane
Kissimmee, Florida 34741
autotechs.com onlyremotes.com
1-888-252-8324
"Always check your wires with a multimeter"
bassop823 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I would buy a remote start that is made for a manual trans. I know there is some manufactures that make these and have all the bypass and acces. you need to make a good install and worry free about leaving it in gear.
bassop
kragan79 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

I finished the install and it actually works. I am leary of leaving the car in gear, even though I have been driving a manual for almost 10 years now and never left it in gear when parked, but now I really have to think about it. So I am going to try and figure a way to wire in the ebrake so that it will only remote start with the ebrake up. That should work on my car cause I have disc brakes all around and it doesn't move at all with the ebrake up (I have tried). So for the time being the remote start is disabled. I don't really plan on using it until the winter anyway so that gives me about 5 months to get it going.

docphil 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have done many manual vehicels the most resent was an 04 SRT-4. Like Bassop823 said there are a number of companys out on the market to day that will allow you to safely  remote start into a manual car. I would not recommend doing it any other way.  For my self I have a manual car and have had a remote start on for a number of years with no worries.
spyderman_maryj 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Don't become a statistic!  ONLY put a remote start intended for a manual on a manual trans. car.  I have a RS on my 5 spd and you would be surprised how often you need to leave it in gear (hill parking) and with the right system you can SAFELY do it!  Also if you have your car serviced, the mechanic won't drive over himself... I heard of a car driving nearly all the way off of the lift, causing alot of damage (and dirty shorts!)

minytrker 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on what kind of car or truck you have there are several differnt ways you make sure it won't start unless in nuetral. It just takes a little time and trial and error on figuring out what works best for you setup. The remote starter that I have seen for standards all seemed like a pain to remote start with the sequence you had to do before you cut off the car to be able to remote start it.
tmsflasher 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

Question to kragan79:

What kind of alarm did you get for your car?

The mannix alarm that i had installed before worked well with manual tran and did include the wire for your ebrake. So they had to be up before the remote start would work. Well since you already had installed an alarm on your car it would be best to just wire in a relay to interfere with the remote starting when ebrake is not up. Here's how to do it, I would try and interrupt the starter wire coming from the alarm. Cut the starter wire coming from the alarm, and wire one end of it to #30 and the other to  #87a. The end that is coming from the alarm, wire it to #85 as well. And lastly wire #86 to the ground signal from the ebrake when it is up. That should do the trick. The alarm wont be able to start the car as long as the ebrake is up.

THere is a way to bypass the clutch without the need of a switch, just use the supplied ignition 3 wire from the alarm and wire it straight to the clutch sensor. So the alarm will only give out a ground signal during the remote start, and will return back to normal (factory setting) when the remote start is disengaged. Check your alarm manual to make sure the supplied ignition 3 wire is on when starting. I had done this to a '00 Civic with manual tran with the mannix alarm. Check it out at www.mannixusa.com.

But if you want the absolute protection from keeping a car from starting when in gear is to install your own sensor on the gears. Even with the ebrake up on my friends car, I was still able to remote start it and the car did move a foot or so and died. The alarm made a second attempt to start the car, and so the car kept moving with the ebrake up while the alarm kept attempting to start the car. So even with all the safety the alarm has tried to integrate into a manual car, it still wasn't perfect. I was about to install those hood sensor that they give you and actually use them to sense if the the car was in gear or not. Never got the time to get to it. So never did done so on my own car. If anybody ever do install some kind of sensor on their own gearbox, please let me know. That's the only way to prevent an alarm to remote start a manual car in gear.

tmsflasher 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  

Correction on previous post connect the wire to #87 not #87a.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic