best sub and amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Hi people,
this might be too general a question, but I am really looking to buy a new subwoofer and amp for it, that will really satisfy me. My requests are 1) Top sound quality and 2) space. (by space I mean the less space it takes in my trunk, the happier I'll be). I don't mind spending more money but want something of really good quality. I now have Apline Type R 12" and Alpine MRD 500 digital amp but never have been satisfied with its quality. I admit the power is a lot, but quality wise, I am quite dissapointed. I've tried different cabinets, sizes, ported, non-ported, settings but really think I need something better(best if I can find one). I have ALpine MRD F540 for the 4 doors(4 channel) and I absolutely love it's quality. However with the sub/MRD 500 and Type R 12" combination, its sadly a different story.
Thanks a lot in advance for when I get to find that and buy it!
Mark
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

The type R is actually a pretty darn good sub.  But as in ANY audio gear, you have to like how it sounds.  If what you're seeking is more SQ (sound quality) then here are a few suggestions.  1: stay with a sealed enclosure always for highest SQ.  Make sure the enclosure is completely sealed (all seams and woofer mounting area are air tight.) Make sure it is the correct size for the speaker.  2: stick with a good mono sub amp like your MRD 500.  In fact, this is a great amp and you should stick with it.  3: If you have tried the Type R in a proper sealed enclosure and have the amp set up correctly and you did not like the SQ, before you buy new gear try moving the sub to diffrerent locations in the vehicle.  If it's in the trunk, try facing it forwards, then backwards or to the side.  Try firing it towards the cabin and then flip it around so it fires towards the rear.  Try moving it around to the front of the trunk and then to the back.  Spend enough time at each location to listen and evaluate any difference.  4: The MRD 500 amp includes some very sophisticated digital electronics for time alignment and EQ.  Read the owner's manual carefully and try adjusting the settings.  You may simply be hearing acoustic phase cancellation or improper EQ and need to correct for it.  5: If you remain unhappy with the sound of the Alpine, the next steps up in quality include speakers from companies like Eclipse, JBL, Nakamichi, Diamond, Dynaudio, Morel, MB Quart, some of the drivers from Planet Audio, Adire and Orion, and if you really want esoteric try to find a Magnat.  Realize that (depending on which one you have) the Type R retails for less than $200.  To step up in quality to the level I am suggesting will require about two to five times that much and more.

Good luck!

Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks DYJohn,
I have tried almost all the things you mentionned. I have now a sealed enclosure (completely sealed with no gaps). I tried filling it wtih polyfill today. I tried it facing back, then to the front, then to the side and even "lying on its back" meaning firing up in the air. They all sound very powerful but I don't hear the quality I am looking for. Not like my home system. I dont know if that is called reverberation or soemthing else but just not what I'd like to enjoy. I did not know about Eclipse and all the ones you mentionned. I am keeping a budget of $1000 for 1 sub and 1 amp(for the sub). IfI can get a Magnat, I'd be very happy. So I am now onto my new search for a magnat! Can I keep my Alpine F540 for the 4 door speakers and use Magnat or Nakamichi or one of the higher ones for the sub alone and still have overall quality?
Thanks for all the names I did not even know most of them.
Mark
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

You might try listening to an Eclipse aluminum 10" sub. You could use the 4 ohm dvc version with your alpine MRD-M500 amp and it get 500 watts (which is the reccomended rms power). They sound reall really good in small sealed enclosures, and retail for around $350 in the U.S.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

In my opinion the best all around sub on the market today (meaning sounds really good and can generate prodigious SPL) is the JBL GTi series.  Take a look and see if you can find a W12GTi.  I doubt you can find a Magnat in the states, as they are not directly imported here.  Now and then some of the more esoteric shops will have one that was brought in.  The Bulldog sells for around $1000 for the raw speaker.  I recomend you keep your Alpine amp if you like it.  It is a good amp.

Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at the website for the W12GTi and had a few more questions. If I get a 10" instead of a 12", will the quality go down by much or will only the SPL be lower on a 10" instead of 12"?
Next question is how can I find out whether its my Amp that needs to be changed or its teh sub that needs to be changed for improved quality? Also I looked at the JBL BPx1100.1 mono sub amp (2200 W), is that a good amp?
DYohn 
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
The 10" is better in the upper bass frequencies and the 12" tends to have lower response capabilities.  They both are about the same sound quality.  In general a 12" can generate more SPL, but this is not always true.  All the JBL amps are very good.
Support the12volt.com
dbdraggirl 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
The best... Try this set up.. A 12" Kove T3 Armageddon with a US Amps 600x.. It's going to be a lil' pricy but like you said you are willing to pay for quality.. US is a Class A/B amp... excellent sound quality.. the clarity is just insane..  105 signal/noise ratio and that's definetly under-rated.. The subwoofer is excellent also.. I have last years model of the same speaker they made some changes but it's still a power handling machine! best sub and amp? -- posted image. So let us know what u decide! Good luck anyhow!
DYohn 
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I hate getting into brand arguements but I have to comment on the post by dbdraggirl.  I agree that Kove speakers are fantastic - for SPL.  They handle all kinds of power and can generate very high SPL output.  But for high-end SQ applications - which this one is - I cannot recomend Kove.  US Amps does make some very fine amplifiers and crossovers.
Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the infos both dbdraggirl and DYohn. By the description of Kove T3, I thought I found what I was looking for, but again, had to apply my brakes when I read that it is great for SPL only. I wish I could hear it before buying but am not that lucky as no one I know has it yet.
I am willing to do just about anything for SQ. If my budget is not enough, I'm willing to cross my limits a little bit, to get SQ.
After I get that, my next worry will be to find a safe place to hide the amp from thieves..
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic