icon

best sub and amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
Ok then the box is too small.. however, I did not have much luck with the other one (SBR-122CR) that I still have (and is at my brother's apartment now) which is made by Alpine, prefilled with another Type R 12",but I did not find the quality of bass sound of that really any better either. Here's the details of it:
best sub and amp? - Page 3 -- posted image.
It is the SBR-122CR 12" Compound Reflex Subwoofer Box 2ohm (4ohm + 4ohm).   I tried this for about 2 months and thought maybe I have to break-in my sub. That did not work either.
At home, I did not bridge it but used the two 4ohm coils in series and made it 8ohm and connected it to the left channel speaker while keeping my right channel to the regular 3way speaker so I could compare with my balance. I then even tried to make the speaker have 4 ohm by using just one coil. Still not much difference in sound quality. I even tried in parallel to effect 2ohm. Nothing made a big advancement in quality.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

I would try to build a .85 cf box and see how it sounds, because .65 cf is on the really really small side for this sub.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

markcars wrote:
So the internal dimensions are :
14" wide, 13.5 inch high, 9" deep.

If these are accurate internal measurements, I see .85 ft^3, taking the sub's .128 displacement into consideration.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
I am willing to build a larger box than the small one I tried last, but I don't understand how it will be better since I already tried the Alpine box SBR-122CR
whose dimentions are:
(W x H x D) inches 22-1/2” x 17-9/64” x 16”
That did not sound any much better really. That's why I removed it after 2 months and put back my small box that sounded almost same.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Yes stevdart, they're quite accurate internal measurements to the 1/8th " tolerance level. I took my tape measure and actually measured the insides of the box last night.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

markcars wrote:
So the internal dimensions are :
14" wide, 13.5 inch high, 9" deep.

If these are accurate internal measurements, I see .85 ft^3, taking the sub's .128 displacement into consideration.

I used the volume calculator on this site and got .65 cf square. If you subtract the sub's displacement from that enclosure then it =.52 cf square

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
14 * 13.5 * 9 = 1701 / 1728 = 0.984 - .128 = 0.856
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Try it on the site calculator is all I can say....
stevdart 
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I got the same thing.  Put in a zero for wall thickness when determining inside dimensions.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

Look markcars, the answer here is really very simple.  You have pretty effectively determined that you don't like the sound of the Apline sub you have.  So sell it.  Go to a good shop and listen to other subs until you find one you do like.  Buy it.  It's really as simple as that.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic