icon

best sub and amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
No I don't. All my (3) systems only have settings for bass and treble boost and cut. JVC has knob for bass/treble boost/cut. Harmon Kardon same thing, two knobs plus one more button for extra bass. Kenwood with Infinity speakers and sub has digital controls for treble/bass boos/cut. No real "equalizer" in any of my systems.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
I think a single 10" sub is defnitely for you. If you buy a decent 10" sub and put it in a sealed box built to spec, then it should sound just about right (you might even try an 8" sub). Try going back to your local shop and tell them exactly what you want if you havn't already. Try listening to al of the good 8" subs they offer and see if you like any of them. You should be in control of the volume and play the cd you want. If they won't let you do that then move on to a different shop, or order from an authorized on-line store that lets you listen to the product and return it within a certain amount of time if you don't.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, here is what you do.  Find the most high-end dealer you can find, tell him you will give him a blank check to duplicate your home hi-fi sound in your car.  He will come to your home, listen to your sound, and duplicate it for you.  That is, if money is no object...
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

I've had similar experiences at car stereo places.  Sometimes the people they employ blow my mind.  - They have no idea what "sound quality" means.  I was at a store and the salesman was trying to push one brand of components on me because, "they hit hard and play really loud and you can feed them 250 watts each."   I told him I don't listen to music loud, wouldn't be feeding them that much power, and wanted to focus on sound quality.  He kept insisting that these were the best for me and would reluctantly demo other speakers I wanted to hear for me.  This is a prime example of a horrible car audio salesperson.  Unfortunately, a lot of the punks some of these places seem to employ seem to know jack about sound quality. 

However, there are people out there that know what they are talking about:  Luckily the installer happened to walk into the demo room and overheard our conversation.  He then said, "Why are you trying to sell him those?  He obviously doesn't care about the power handling."  This installer told me to wait a few minutes and then he came back and told me what he liked and disliked about how the various speakers sounded and seemed like he was willing to do A/B tests with me all day on -my- music.  It was a good experience and I finally decided on a good mix of price / quality that I liked.

Anyway, my point to the whole story is that some people in the car audio industry obviously don't have a clue about sound quality.  Others do - seek them out!  Another piece of advice I used when looking for car audio:   take in a disc of your music that you are very familiar with and want to hear.  If possible demo it on a really high quality home audio setup before you demo the car audio equipment.  This way you'll know how the cd is actually supposed to sound.    - my 2 cents :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I've done some more research and I think so far I like the specs and what I read about the Focal 27WX - Utopia 11" Subwoofer. I wish it was 10" but I'll take that. Although they will not fit in pre-fabricated enclosures, that will force me to make my own box this time. They're a bit expensive though (around $600 just for the driver). Reviews on it seem very interesting.
If this does not do it, I'll proceed to changing my sub's amp.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Good luck. I think you will be happy with it.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Wow that sales guy was an idiot. I like the fact hat at least he took to sub out and put it in your car as opposed to just using the board. But for him to not let you control the volume and to not actually change anything on the amp even though he made it apear he did was sp unprofessional. Its like my idio....er salesman not bringing their own demo music to work and just playing whatevers laying around. I love "professionals"
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Where can I buy MDF? Does home depot have it?I looked on the www.homedpot.com site but nothing comes up on MDF. Is there any other kind of wood or substance I can use other than MDF?
I just burnt a hole in my pocket (happily) by ordering a Focal 27WX Utopia Sub and would like to get the remaining stuff so I can put it together when I receive it. Also I am not too sure as to what dimentions my box needs to be. I looked at the specs but not yet sure. I want to have the smallest suggested box as per required specs for this driver without sacrificing any quality.
bruno71088 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
you can get it at home depot its 19 dollars were i live for a sheet the size of a sheet of plywood
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Cool. Thanks a lot for the info! I'll run by the Homedepot next to whereI live to see if they have it too. And the cloth that goes over the box, do you have any suggestions as to where to buy it? I havent looked at partsxpress but I think they might have it. Thanks again.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic