icon

Infinity subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
g8trhtr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone had an expierience with the Infinity subwoofers? when looking at subs does the woofers spl equate to a higher db? Let's say a 92db to a 86 Jl.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
I use Infinity Kappa series subs (and main speakers) all the time.  I like their sound a lot.  The lower lines tend to leave a little to be desired IMO.  The numbers you refer to are efficiency (or sensitivity) ratings.  In general, all other things being equal like enclosure type, a speaker with a higher efficiency rating will produce more sound pressure with a given power input, but a speaker with a lower effiiciency rating will be able to handle more total power.  So the answer to your question is not in that rating alone, it is determined by the total system design.
Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
The Kappa is what I am looking at. (120.3dvc.) I had a Jl 12w0-8, but, I blew it over the weekend. It seems to match better with the ported box I have tuned @ 35, 2.07 ft3. I have a Kenwood 800 w puching it. or should I say had. I used a box calculation that takes into account the sub parameters. Gives you the gain and the spl. The infinity does better on paper. I am a JL fan though.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Which Kenwood amp?  They don't make a genuine 800 watt amplifier that I know of.  And the Infinity is rated at 300 watts BTW.
Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Kac 7201, 800w maw, 460w @ 1, 230w x2 @2, 150w x2 @4 RMS

DYohn 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
OK, your amp is realistically rated at closer to 300 to 400 watts RMS into a bridged 4-ohm load.  You cannot connect a 2-ohm load to this amp in mono, so a DVC 4-ohm sub is a bad choice.  You need a SVC sub.  The SVC version of the Kappa is the 120.3SE, but like I said before it is only rated for 300 watts and that means your amp could potentially over-drive it.  The Kappa Perfect 12.1 is a better choice if you like the sound of Infinity, as it is rated at 350 watts, but I run them at 500 in a sealed enclosure all day long in my car.  The 2 cuft ported enclosure you have may be a bit large for Infinity 12's, however, as they want a smaller area closer to 1.75 cuft.
Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

can I not run 230x2 @ 2ohms to each coil?

or run it @ 8ohms by wireing in series. + (amp to +L coil), then - (L coil to + R coil )and ( - R coil to - amp). will that give me a 8ohm load?

g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
been in my kenwood book, it states that it can operate safely when connected at a 2ohm load. 2 4ohm in parallel to one channel of the amp, producing up to 100% more power. so does that mean i can run lch in mono?
DYohn 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
The speaker determines the loading, not the amp.  The ratings given for an amplifier are simply what it can safely deliver into the speaker impedence load connected to it.  If you wire a DVC speaker for 2-ohms, you would have to connect it to ONE channel of that amp and you'd get approximately 230 watts (on a good day  More like 200 actual.)  The other channel would remain empty.  I suppose you could get a second woofer that matches the first one for the second channel.  And yes, if you wire a DVC 4-ohm speaker in series at 8-ohms that will be safe for the Kenwood in bridged mode.  You should get somewhere around 200 watts that way as well.  If you connect a 2-ohm load to that amp in it's mono (bridged) mode, it will not work very long and max smoke may result.  Or at least an amp that shuts down.
Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

well crud, that stinks  any suggestions on a sub to match.

Thanks for your help...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic