icon

2 amps 1 sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bruno71088 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
is there a way to hook up 2 diffrent amps to 1 sub to get the max power from each amp to the sub?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Well, most people's first reply is obviously "No it is not safe nor recommended". And in most cases this is not only true, but also invaluable advice.
However, it really depends on the amp. Kicker makes amps (like their KX1200.1) that are specifically designed to be "strapped", and the outputs of both amps being used to safely drive a single sub.
Do you have any amps already in mind that you are specifically asking about, or are you just asking a general question?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
bruno71088 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
i have two pioneer amps(GM-X862) that are running two mtx thunder 8000 and i wanted to upgrade to 1 sub that would hit just as hard with these two amps.
aussieaccord 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
if you had some thick bitch wires when u connected the channels from each amp together, and then run the fat wires to your sub? that should put the power through without loss of quality...You must either have 2 sh*tty amps or a hella good sub
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
it's never recommended to run 2 amps to 1 sub unless the amps are specifically designed for it. The signal variations alone in the outputs of the amps can shred a single sub (SVC or DVC) attatched to both amps. "Strapped" amps are designed to split the input signals, and use the controls of the primary amp for both amps output. The amps are joined in accordance to the manufacturer's specifications.
I can't find any info on GM-X862 on the Pioneer site, but did find a GM-X822. Either way, I haven't found any documentation supporting either amp being capible of "strapping". I'll keep looking though and will let you know if I find anything else out.
Until you hear differently, I would not recommend running a single sub using both amps at the same time.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
bruno71088 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
thanks alot for helping me out squirrel i can get the specifications and all that stuff for the amp if thats what u need
bruno71088 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Specifications
Continuous Power (14.4V): 125Wx2 (4 ohms), 190Wx2 (2 ohms), 380Wx1 (4 ohms)
Max Power (14.4V): 250Wx2 (4 ohms), 760Wx1 (4 ohms)
Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (0,-1dB)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008% (1kHz, 4 ohms)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB (IHF-A); Dimensions: 11" x 2-5/16" x 12-3/4"
Features
PWM MOSFET Power Supply; Bridgeable 1/2/3 Channel Capability
Balanced Isolator Input Circuit
Gold-Plated Screw-Type Power/Ground Terminals
Gold-Plated Screw-Type Speaker Terminals
Gold-Plated RCA Inputs
Hi-Volt Input Level Control (200mV-6.5V)
Molex Type Speaker Level Inputs
Selectable LPF: 80Hz (-12dB/oct.)
IM not sure if that will help
wvsquirrel 
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
No problem.
Yea, that's what I'm looking for. Primarily information on the input and output options/features. But anything may be helpful
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

Unless you're really strapped (pun) for space, running two subs should give you more volume and better sound than one sub, using the same power.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bruno71088 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic