the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

5x7 boxes/ home amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Signal flows to the speaker coil on the pos. and back to the amp on the neg.  Series, the first speaker flows into the second speaker, then back to the amp. You should read a good tutorial.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of car do you have?  I would think that some company would sell  a 5 X 7 speaker adapter plate to fit those speaker where you need them.  That is a Ford size speaker. 
Harv
galen_s 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

I have a '94 civic. The speakers are out of my old 84 plymouth reliant.... boy was that a beauty. Anyway, i've ordered speakers for my civic already.

Stevdart could I use a 4 ohm resistor in place of a second speaker, wiring it in series.Such as this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=017-4

Do you think this would work?

thanks

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
No, that is for a circuit board.  You can get 5 X 7 speakers on flea-bay for $20 shipped a pair any day of the week.  Or pull two of the speakers out of your car that you will be replacing and use those.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Why wouldn't it work? If I mount it inside the box, it offers 4 ohms resistance and I wouldn't be pushing more than 20 watts. Regardless of whether it's for a circuit board, it still has the same function, and should be able to be mounted and used for the purpose it was intended for. I don't want to pair my infinities with some cheap brand off ebay.
stevdart 
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry to break this news, but a 5 X 7 Infinity is no better than a 5 X 7 Pioneer, and several other mid brands.  Just FYI, no offense intended.  I am saying there are closeouts available on a lot of coaxials, and you will find Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, and others.  Match sensitivity as close as possible.
galen_s 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

ok, i understand that about the speakers. but can you offer me an expanation about the resistor? From my experiences it seems that would work, Can you tell me reasons for not attempting this?

thanks

stevdart 
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
You can read this explanatory resistor tutorial to see why it would not do what you want it to do.  Or, you can experiment.  Whatever you do I suggest you take an ohm reading with a multimeter before connecting to your home receiver.  You want close to 8 ohms per channel load.
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

current flows both ways through the coil, one way pushes it out, the other way pulls it in.

You wire them - + - + so the two series coils stay in phase with eachother....otherwise it would sound like garbage. Especially if its a DVC sub you're wiring in series....

I used a Pioneer IMPP 12" sub in a small sealed box with my Audio Source self powered subwoofer (home theater) The AS sub was blown, so I ran speaker wire to the Pioneer sub from the amp board. The amp happened to be 4 ohms, for the dual 8 ohm coil, the pioneer was a single 4 ohm......Now let me tell ya...

That was a good sounding home system!!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic