icon

Idiot who bought new cd player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
handsomeRob 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I'm a tatal novice, but I just bought a new car stereo from a department store to put on my'02 Elantra. The instructions that came with the stereo tell me where to conect the radio wires, but the car wires are not color coordinated the same. My question is, how do I know what each wire coming out of the dash leads to, is there a universal color code, like yellow is front left speaker or something like that?
Kevin
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
The best thing you can do is buy a wire harness... Takes all the guessing out of installing. The harness is basically an adapter for your wires. You can find them at crutchfield, most auto sound shops, and yes, *sigh* wal-mart.
If not, it's trial and error time for you.
Tip for wires:
Solid color = positive
Color with black stripe = negative
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
the best thing to do is check the wires going to each speaker, then write them down ,then get yourself a votage tester. go to the wiring harness check for power (+) then mark  it down then check acc (+)  mark it, when ignition is on thats your remote , then black is usally ground (-)
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Here are the wire colors for a 2000 Elantra https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=2000&make=Hyundai&model=Elantra&ID=18019&type=Stereo

Your car should have the same wire colors. Hope that helps.

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I hope you didn't cut the stock harness off. Save yourself the hassle of testing wires and just buy the metra wiring harness. The metra harness simply plugs into the stock harness, and you connect your head unit's wires to the metra harness. To add on to the simnplicity, the metra harness should be color coordinated with the head unit's harness. You can find the metra harness number here.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
handsomeRob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
I did cut the harness off(like an idiot) is there any other way to find the 2002 stereo wire colors, the 2000 is differrent.
Kevin
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Is soldering the harness back on an option? Having that stock harness will help in the future if you either change cars or change radios.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
handsomeRob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
No, I cut the wires way too close to the harness. I think I'm pretty much screwed.
Kevin
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
Its still possible to save your car!    Get metra wire harness 71-7301 , that is your factory harness, just solder onto the factory wires,,,then get 70-7301 and plug that into your nice new "factory" harness, and then solder the colour coordinated wires together.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
handsomeRob 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Does anybody know the stereo wires color code for a 2002 Hyundai?
Kevin
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic