icon

four 12's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i am going to be upgrading my system at the end of summer and want to start planning it now. I stopped at a car audio store in my city and they werent giving me adive, they were trying to sell me. Thats why im referring here once again to this awesome site. Heres the deal, i want to build a custom enclosure for four(4) 12" subs. Thats the problem. Not the enclosure, but the type of sub. I am deciding between the JL w3v2 with the dual 4 ohm VC or the Eclispe 87121.4 subwoofer. I am going to be putting them into a sealed box in a 99 cavalier and running a pair of subs to an amp. The subs are about the same enclosure size and the same RMS. I want to know which one will result in the best overall sound.

Thanks in advance, its going to be nice hearing from people who know their stuff, and dont try to sell your crap that you dont even ask about. Thanks a bunch.

mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
i smell a double post... lol
djMINIoompa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, my computer froze and i got frustrated and double clicked it i guess or something. I feel stupid now. I am sorry for the double post. It was not intentional.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
No worries, I deleted the duplicate.  As to your question, IMO Eclipse woofers in general will beat JL in terms of SQ.
Support the12volt.com
djMINIoompa 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
and in terms of SPL? which would be my best bet?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
The 87 series of Eclipse are now discontinued, they have been replaced by a new model. Dyohn is correct that the Eclipse subs are geared much more towards SQ rather than SPL. That said though an Eclipse sub can be made to play to a very respectable SPL level and most certainly with 4 12" subs, it is going to be quite loud, as in loud enough to piss off the neighbourhood and cause permanent hearing damage. With you choice of a sealed box, I would go for the SQ of the Eclipse subs, knowing full well that 4 of these subs are going to rattle your grey matter.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have a single JL 12W3V2 that came installed in a JL Stealth Box which is roughly 1 ft sealed. So far it has taken the abuse from a bridged Zapco C2K-6.0 without a problem. SPL is reasonable. As far as sound quality, it get's the job done but the sound is dry and not very warm. Eclipse makes some great products. A local shop has suggested Treo Eng. The owner has 4 SS-15 sealed and they sound incredible. Good Luck!
dubbed_diamante 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
i had two JLW3V2 12s on an Autotek 500.2  and they hit pretty hard.  As far as SQ, it didnt impress me.  I recently heard the new Orion H2 12in subs, and they are impressive, to me they have good SQ and will hit very hard.  Im new to the forum by the way. I love car audio so ill probably be pretty active on here. 
"you can catch me squeezin glocks, pullin triggas and evadin the cops"-Paul Wall(of tha SWISHAHOUSE)
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

I've had JL in many configurations  =)  Ive run a single 12, 2- 12's, 4- 12's and 6 12W6's....  I was very happy with the JL audio in all the configurations save the single 12.  I do however prefer the SQ of the Eclipse subs as far as 2 12's went...  I have not tried running 4 eclipse 12's  =)

~Jay

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

I have........... in the cab of a F350 xtracab.........wow man

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic