icon

Eclipse 12 Aluminum Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
braminator 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with these subs?  Are they SQ subs or SPL?  What would be better for SQ?  I only listen to classic rock.

1. Eclipse 12" Aluminum subs

2. Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1

3.Memphis Mclass

Please only tell me about these 3 subs.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

out of the 3 the infinity will be cheaper. the eclipses are a sql sub.    i havent seen the memphis sub, so i cant tell you much.  I'd go with the eclipse. 

There are a few companies that make some good subs that are lil cheaper then those. But thats off your three..so ill be quiet.:)

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have the aluminum 15 and am amazed by it. It has great sq but also spl.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
I listen to a lot of classic rock and I am about to get two 10" kappa's for my explorer. I have heard the references and I liked the way the sounded and the kappa seems to have similar characteristics. They are described as being very clear and excellent for sound quality.
But I would advise going to listen to them first. I do know that eclipse is more focused on SPL (or so says the guys at the local shop), but the one I heard (don't remember which model) was pretty clear, though not as much so as JL (to my ear anyway).
Get what you like, and like what you get. Good luck, peace.
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
I have a eclipse 10" with about 400W on it.  These subs have excellent low frequency responce and are exceptionally clean, having said that alot of the music you listen too probaly wouldn't sound all that different.  The difference between the subs yoy listed would be heard more in music with "unnatural" low frequency sweeps, and drum machines. And that difference would be person to person, try and listen to them all then decide, it really is objective.  But as far as construction, and quality eclipse is the shiznit.
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
i had 2 infinity kappa perfects 10's runnin about 900 watts and they had as follows (for wattage) IN a custom sealed box
Spl (7/10)
SQ (8/10)
I know from experience that the Eclipse's are much better, they sound so amazingly clean .. just listen to them and they hit really hard, there just out my price range for my new set...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
There is no such thing as SQL, it is either SQ or SPL, at some point in the decibel chain the threshold of sound quality is lost as it crosses over to loudness. IF anyone can tell me that there sub sounds better at 155db than brand xyz, then dude you have  bionic hearing. The Eclipse subs are amazing SQ subs, matter of fact they are my favorite and I am extremely well versed with these subs. They also however have a nasty habit of playing really loud if need be. Thus they fill both realms quite well. Are the Eclipse Aluminums a true SPL sub, no they are not, but 145 db is loud no matter which way the cookie crumbles. Go with the Eclipse and put them in a 1.25 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. Make sure the baffle board is at least made out of 1" mfd or dual layers of 3/4".
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well said, Rob... The human ear can only listen to "sound quality" (which is a completely subjective term, by the way) to a certain threshold, then it just starts to hear any additional dB level as noise... that might sound lame, but I can't think of a better way to put it. I understand it, but I can't type it... Eclipse 12 Aluminum Subs -- posted image.
The Eclipse IS an amazing SQ sub, (again, in my opinion, your actual mileage may vary) and you could not go wrong with one in pretty much any setup. I love how tight and fast they are, and they will give wonderful LF response in a proper enclosure. Power them right though! They are a bit underrated as far as I can tell from seeing them in action. Excellent (if a bit expendy - again, subjective) gear if you go that way.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic