Overheating!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stainless 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hey,
I have budget system in my get-me-through-college car, and I'm having problems with the factory head unit overheating.
I've added a cheap Pyramid line-level converter to the front outputs of my 1994 Honda Accord OEM cassette deck, which controls an Alpine CHM-S600 changer (with the wire modification done). The converted front channels run to a Soundstream amp which powers one sub. The rear speaker outputs from the head run two 5.25" two-way Infinities.
If the fader control is set to allow *any* output through the converted channels, the head unit heat sink gets too hot to touch in five minutes, regardless of system volume. If I fade completely away from those channels, the heating problems vanish.
The converted channels sound fine, so I don't think I've got something grounded out, and the gains on the line converter are set to half. The head overheats even when the volume is set to, say, 2/10, so it doesn't appear to be a result of me pushing things too hard.
I'm getting desperate here... ANY help will be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
If I had to guess, you are using the incorrect LOC for your application... Does the LOC have three wires in, but the HU has four wires out? If so, there is your problem. One POSSIBLE way around this is: use the positive ONLY from the front output of your deck, and run that INTO the positive input of the LOC. Tape off or otherwise insulate the negative output from the deck, and ground the negative input from the LOC to chassis ground.
If this does not work, buy a better quality LOC, you get what you pay for... A decent one should still only cost around 15 to 20 bux...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah stay away from pryamid, crunch, pyle(must have intended the pun) and the whole lot if you can...

Been my experiance that components like that cause more problems then they solve. doesn't mean they won't work though.

Stainless 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help so far.
haemphyst: No, the LOC has four input wires, which I've made sure are in the right order.
I know that Pyramid is not known for making top-notch stuff, but I figured that a LOC was simple enough for even them. Maybe I was wrong.
Has anyone ever had this happen before with a crappy line converter?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your LOC is shorting out the amplifier.  Replace it and see if the probelm goes away.   ( HERE's a cheap one that is decent quality.)  Pyramid makes fine quality door stops and paperweights, by the way.
Support the12volt.com
Stainless 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
I threw away the Pyramid LOC and installed a Stinger one... problem solved.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic