icon

Amp just shut down. Need help.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Well I have a Kenwood KAC-929. I recently purchased a paid of Infinity 1232W's. I wired them up last night but wired them to run at 1 ohm by accident. (I was misinformed over the phone by a friend). Well I ran the setup for about 10 mins and then it all just shut down. I checked all the fuses and they are all intact.

Did I cause any permanent damage? Or is there some kind of a protection on the amp that I am overlooking? Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully I dont have to go out and buy new subs or a new amp.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yep, that amp like all Kenwood stereo amps requires a minimum 4-ohm load when bridged in mono.  If you ran it at 1-ohm and it did not shut down in protection mode, you either blew the amp (worst case) or blew an internal fuse.  If it did protect, then you should be able to reset it by removing the speaker load and power-cycling the amp.  Then hook up no less than a 4-ohm load to it before you turn it back on.  If resetting it does not bring it back to life, take it in to the dealer where you bought it for service.
Support the12volt.com
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

The "protection mode" would be the fuse links correct? And to power cycle the amp I just need to disconnect the subs and turn it on and off?

By the way thanks for all your help. Hopefully this works.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
BTW, this amp has no internal fuses
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well I disconnected the subs and turned it on and off. I also disconnected the power wire form the amp. The power light doesnt even come on. I am assuming that the amp is blown at this point? Also pulled the fuses just to double check and they all seem to be fine.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Any ideas on a good amp to run those 12's. I would need to stay on or below the $300.00 range.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Look at this Rockford Fosgate 551X. It outputs 275 on each channel when bridged (its a 4 channel amp). Also you should look at the JBL  BP-1200.1. It outputs 600 watts continuous at 2 ohms.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
DId you think to check and see if the fuse in the main power line at the battery is blown? Protection mode is nothing to do with fuses, it is a constanly running safety check circuit inside the amplifier that will interupt power and shut the amp off if the potential for damage caused by one of the circuits is present. This could be a dead short on the power line, excessive heat build up or any number of problems. Like was said above, disconnect the speaker leads and double check the fuse up front. If you have a meter, double check fro a good power / remote on and ground at the terminals on the amp. If they have power and remote and a good ground at the amp, then it is likely that you have fried the amp.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I already checked that too. All the fuses. I just checked thwe power to the amp and there isnt any. I will have to check to see if maybe the fuse is blown down towards the bottom where I cant see it.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

get the amp looked at before you junk it... i am a warranty service centre for Kenwood and see quite a few of their amps through here that simple burn open ground paths in the power supply when overloaded.. no parts needed.....

just a suggestion.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic