2004 Focus Defroster with Compustar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
halfrican 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hello All,

Trying to wire a Compustar 2WSS-AS Alarm/Remote Start system to trigger the Rear Window Defrost of a 2004 Focus.  As you all probably know that Compustar accessory output can be programmed to pulse from 1 to 99 seconds or latch.  My problem is that when I wire it to pulse, the defroster on comes on for the length of the pulse.  If I select latch it stays "latched" indefinitely, even after the the vehicle is being driven.

Am I tagging the wrong wire to use the "pulse" trigger?  Shouldn't I be able to "pulse" the rear-defroster and just let the "factory" timer control how long the defroster stays powered?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Half

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'm showing the rear defrost wire as BLACK/ orange (-) @ the junction block or I assume also at the defroster switch. And yes you should be able to just give it a negative pulse and it should run it's course accordingly. Good luck,
Mike
halfrican 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow wrote:
I'm showing the rear defrost wire as BLACK/ orange (-) @ the junction block or I assume also at the defroster switch. And yes you should be able to just give it a negative pulse and it should run it's course accordingly. Good luck,
Mike

Mike,

I am 99% percent sure that the BLACK/ orange (-) @ the junction block is the wire that I tagged.  Unfortunately, it still results in the defroster only staying on for the length of the pulse.  Could it be that the pulse needs to be a specific amount of time to work properly (not too long or too short)?

Thanks again,

half

Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
try using a different wire from the compustar unit that has draw (-) or (+) during remote start, rather than an accessory output wire.  that way, it shuts off when you kill the remote start after inserting your key and stepping on the brake.
halfrican 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

80085 wrote:
try using a different wire from the compustar unit that has draw (-) or (+) during remote start, rather than an accessory output wire.  that way, it shuts off when you kill the remote start after inserting your key and stepping on the brake.

That is a possibility that I had considered, but I was concerned about any excess wear and tear on the defroster and heated mirros with them active upon every remote start, am I being paranoid?

Thanks again...

Mark

Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

so install a simple on/off switch between the trigger wire and the rear defog.  if it's not cold enough to frost up your windows, turn the switch off.  then your rear defog won't go on.  if you think it'll be cold overnight, turn the switch on. works fine for me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic