icon

amp for single dvc sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bp_viper 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

i have a jvc 10" cs-wg1000 sub that i want to put to use but am not sure what i should do for an amp to power it. it is 4+4 dvc, so i need an amp that is (is it 1 or 2 ohms parallel...not sure) ohms stable? or should i run it at 8 ohms. the thing is i only have 1 so have to make do. power handling of 800 max, 300rms. thanks

nollaz 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
your sub is a 300 watt jvc daul 4 ohm voice coil. find a amp that pushes from 150-300 watts and runs at 4 ohms bridged. that way you can get the most of your sub without blowing it
yup
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, you are going to need an amp that is one ohm stable, IF you want to bridge it. (the woofer, when the voice coils are paralleled, present a two ohm load, and then the amp, when bridged, "sees" twice that load or half the impedance per channel) Personally, I would recommend not wasting your money, buy an amp that is around 150wpc at 4 ohms, run the amp in stereo, and run one voice coil from each channel. Contrary to popular opinion, there will be NO damage done by doing this, the amp will have better control over the cone due to the improved damping factor, the amp will run cooler, and last longer. People, STOP recommending that people buy these low impedance capable amps. Just because they can do it, that does not mean the can do it better than another amp that may be less expensive, because it was not built to run a half ohm load! Low impedance is NOT YOR FRIEND! It is your WORST ENEMY, especially in the car where you are looking for as much efficiency as you can lay your hands on! You do not have a virtually unlimited power supply in the car like you do in the home!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Actually you need an amp that it rated at 2 ohm mono stable. I know all the rules about how the amp sees half of the load and what not but amps are rated to take this into consideration. For example any amp that rates itself at 2 ohm mono stable, it will be able to handle a dual 4 ohm voice coil wired in parralell and bridged. Its just the way it goes. You could look for a MTX 311D amp, that would work awsome for you. You could also look at a jbl300.1, both of which would meet your needs.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, that is true, but any amp that is rated 2 ohm mono stable will also be rated 1 ohm stereo stable... It is the same rating, just different words! I think that's what I said, just not in so many words. If you see an amp that states 1 ohm stereo stable, it will also be 2 ohm bridged stable, and then you will be able to bridge it into a 2 ohm load (two 4 ohm voice coils, paralleled).
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bp_viper 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
haem,  i have heard so many people say not to hook each channel to each voice coil, but you say there will be no harm? i am not criticizing you just making sure you said what you wanted. so a 2 channel amp with 150 watts/channel would work? one channel to each coil. then it is just straight up 4 ohm load on amp. then the gains have to be exactly the same on both channels correct? thanks.....would there be any difference sound wise whether i go with a mono amp that can handle it versus a 2 channel in 4 ohm?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
This is a great thing to do, the amp will always run much more efficient in all cases. The amp will also have much better control of the motion of the driver. Most amplifiers have only one gain control and work both channels equally. Ravendarat and haemphyst both have good solid suggestions for you. Even though they are talking about two different types of amps, they are still one of the same and will accomplish the same thing.  If I had room in my little car for a big 2 channel amp to run my subs, it would have already been in there. Sometimes the choice of the mono amp or 2 channel amp is dictated by how much real estate is available to mount it in.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
No criticism taken, and yes there will be NO harm done. Rob already got to the answer I was gonna say about the gain, but even IF you had separate gain controls, any channel level mismatch would impact your maximum output insignificantly, unless one channel was all the way up, the other, all the way down... but you'd never do that right? amp for single dvc sub -- posted image.
As far as audible "differences" go, not much... your amp will run cooler, and last longer, and will not need as much current from the electrical system. Damping factor will be four times what it would be if you bridged into 2 ohms, and this can be a significant amount, especially if you are thinking about any type of vented enclosure.
Yes, a stereo amp rated 150 to 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms will suffice nicely... Have FUN!
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
as far as gains, uh, unless you bought it from wall-mart the amp gain is for both channels.
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

its old but a phoenix gold xs2300 will push it quite well for you. those are some bad little amps.. run cool and dont take up space. should be able to find one on ebay.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic