icon

Worst sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Some friends of mine pluged 12" diamond (I believe an expensive one) into a wall outlet.  I don't how they wired the voice coils or stuff like that but I did get to see the aftermath.  The Sub had been abused and it was rattling or something like that so they decided to see what happened with massive 60 Hz power.  They describbed an insane POP that lasted about 1 or two seconds then clouds of smoke and fire before the braker blew in the garage.  The sub was TOASTED.  I mean toasted.  But there isn't a car audio amp that could push that kind of current so I don't think a way oversised amp would do that.  To finish it off they took turns with a 20 lb sledge hammer....    A moment of silence please.

If you wnated to toast a cheap sub just hook it to the battery, a good jolt of DC should do the trick.    

shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah look at radioshack for an old 12" "woofer" on clearance.  I think they are like 15 bucks that way.  Don't know the specks though.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Try wal mart. They have a VERY cheap subs, i think they are called extremes, or something like that, they come in bright yellow, so they should be easy to spot.  Also try a flea market. I bought a Boss 300W sub and box for $35.  Hooked the sub up to my 500W amp, blew it in about 10 minutes.  They also sell 6 1/2" tube subs at wal mart, they can handle a surprisingly  large amount of power. I have two in my car right now and i can tell one is gonna blow soon.  Also, after you blow the sub up make sure to burn the remains, because burning stuff is fun!
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

pimpincavy wrote:
burning stuff is fun!

Yes, yes it is....Worst sub - Page 2 -- posted image.

I think i will try one in the wall and one straight on the battery....oh yeah

It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

get 2 12' subs, ,put them in a box, , put that in your car, , go to a comp, , and plug em into the wall, ,  then walk away with a nice shiny trophy.

Iv personally gone through about 12 subs plugged into the wall, , gets dam freekin loud.   The nice after affect is the new sub you recieve in the mail for warranty 2 weeks later, hehehehe

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
lol
titanus_aegis 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Dude, go with funky pups, you can't go wrong with funky pops.

I think they sell for like $60 a half dozen or something like that. Check them out at nexxon.

Titanus

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
hey man, the walmart brand you guys are talkin about is VR3. Virtual Reality Soundlabs. very cheap equipment. I just thought i'd offer some advice, maybe you could save some cash. Does it necessarily have to be a sub? There are tons of things lying around the house that have speakers in them that can only handly .5-10 watts. u can blow up a crap load of stuff for free. Just a thought.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I suppose it doesnt have to be a sub, but it just seems cooler to burn up a sub than a little burt out mid from my dads 30 year old surround sound. There really is no logic behind this anyway haha.
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Djmajicmark1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

Im actually mini's friend we got 2 legacy LWF8X 8" subs coming, should be here tomorrow(fri) we will have some fun and hopefully record digitally so we can share, I picked them up from a wholesaler at $7 each.

Mark

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic