This Setup Should Slam?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

What does everyone think of this setup:

2 Kicker S15L7 subs (2 ohm dual voice coils), each sub powered by a Kicker KX1200.1 class D amp. The subs will be going into a large ported box taking up most of the room in the back of my bronco(haven't decided on exact size yet)., and will be wired for each sub to present a 1 ohm load to each amp.

These amps may seem small since the subs are rated at 1000wRMS and the amps are 1200wMAX @ 1ohm, but I am going to get 2 more of the same amps because they can be "strapped" together to make one 2400xMAX amp for each sub.

Everyone just let me know what ya'll think. I's so excited about how loud this should be that I may have made a mistake, you have to understand, I have no subs right now and I NEED BASS!!! 

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

No, I don't think you'll quite be able to lose your hearing with that setup.  Add 2 more subs and 3 more amps and you'll be deaf in less time.  /semi-sarcasm

I personally would hold off on buying the second amp until you hear how loud it is going to be.  In all seriousness, unless you're planning to spl compete, another amp might be a waste of money.  One of those amps will probably push the setup louder than you can listen to for any length of time - especially in a bronco.  With no trunk to get through you can get very loud with 2 woofers in a ported system with not much power at all. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, I was going to hold off on buying the second amp anyways because they are like $500 apiece and since I would need 2 more that would be another $1000 that would be going out of my wallet. It should be loud enough the way it is with only 1amp/ speaker.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man, if you are going to be putting them into a very large ported box, you dont need to give them as much power. The bigger the box, the less power you have to feed them to perform. The smaller the box, the more you can feed them.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
fintheman 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

Yea, seriously, one amp would be fine

Since you have the space in the back to build a nice ported box at the right size (I'd say 4.5-5.0 Cubes for each)  tune it to 30hz

I would bet money that 300 watts to each sub would be pretty damn loud, 600, for sure.

By the way, upgrade the wiring from your alternator to your battery, probably would help.

You might be able to barely get by with 2 amps due to the amps you'd be getting.

-fin 

Serving the country, one coffee at a time.
USAF!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
...and you'll be wiring them together for a 2 ohm load on the amp, which is better than the 1 ohm load you were thinking about.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
I would take the dual 4 ohm version of the same sub and then choose one big amp to drive them. You will spend way less cake this way, use up less real estate as compared to mounting 4 amps and use waaaaaaaay less power consumption and the associated wiring.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Well, it seemd that I read the specs wrong and the amps that I'm usig are 1200wRMS X 1 @ 1 ohm. So, I will only be using one amp per speaker now and I don't have to worry about the "strapping" thing. There will be more than enough power to go around.

I already have a 200 amp alternator w/2ga. wire to the battery, and I've got the biggest Optima Yellow top they make. I am also going to get another Yellow Top, but I was wondering if I would be needing a capacitor (or 2) since I will be playing my system loud for long durations, b/c when I had 2 Orion 12"s powered by a DHD 1000w amp, my headlights dimmed when the bass hit, even with the battery and the big alternator.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

OK guys, I have a new plan. Now that I got the monet to buy the stuff I wanted (above), I have discovered new components for my system which are:

(2) Orion H2 15.2 subs(handle 2500w max, 2000w RMS) and a class D Orion 2500D amp(2500w x 1 @ 1ohm,1700w x1 @ 2ohms, 1200w x 1 @ 4 ohms). Subs will be in a ported enclosure (3.0 cubic feet per sub, 40 square inches of port area, tuned to 30 HZ) and wired in paralell to the amp to present a 1 ohm load(amp is easily 1 ohm stable). This setup will be used for pure competition, so I don't care about sound quality at all. I might even get another 2500D amp so I won't have to run the other one at 1ohm pushing both speakers. Remember, I have plenty of alternator and battery power so that isn't a problem either.  

So, what does everyone think? I need to know because if it sounds good, I am going to go ahead and get all of this stuff. Please let me know, I need to get pounding. Thanks.                 -Matt

d_arnold 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

No matter what you get remember frequency is the key for competition.  You need to do all the math or have someone do it for you.  The best equipment will sound like crap if the frequencies are off.  You need the quarter wave length to hit the microphone by emitting the frequencies at which your system and vehicle preforms best.  You will need to know at least the distance from the speaker to the windshield.  and enter that number on a program to find where to tune your enclosure based on the woofer specs.

Remember Power is not everthing.

Most of your competitive standing come from the install.  THAT IS FACT

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic