icon

PATS Bypass on F-150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steve #1 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
5.0 mustangs get stolen because PATS wasn't introduced until 96 when the Mustang went to the 4.6 motor. Theft numbers on 99+ F150s are low as well due to the PATS system.
I'm not sure of the methods sub sonic posted but I do know of three ways to steal a PATS equipped vehicle.
1) use an NGS and clear all programed PATS codes, remove the cylinder and replace it with a keyed cylinder with key that you carry with you. Program your key and your set. The NGS isn't cheep and this method takes 10 min for programing. Also if you damage the ring around the cylinder when you switch it out you'll be in the same boat you're in now.
2) same as above but instead of reprogramming the cluster you bring your own.
3) Tow truck
One and two are impractical on the street, three is the only real way to do it.
I was going to give you some tips on how to track down what the problem was, but sense it's at the dealer now it doesn't matter. I do hope you told them what caused your problems. Every hour more that it takes 'em to track down the problem is $80+ that it's going to cost you.
Once you get it back running if you still want a cheep way to bypass the PATS system remove the chip from one of your keys and attach it to the PATS antenna on the cylinder. Your vehicle will only start now with NON PATS keys after you do this
The preferred way is to make your own bypass for the price of a relay and some wire.
here's a how to:
http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten-id-153-album-12540
datrick 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

f150hiram wrote:
I towed it to the dealer today around noon and haven't heard back from them, I have fords extended premium extended warranty since I'm out of the factory warranty.
Subsonic, too bad I read your post after the truck was at the dealer, if not I would of tested those hotwire thief tricks and let you know if it is a fact or a fiction. The fuse trick sounds like it might work, but the coil one doesn't seem like it's for the ford truck as the fords shut off the fuel, but sure seems like it might work on others. Good tip, Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.

Car is still at the ford dealer?  or is it up and running with no problem?  Tell us what happened and how it was solved.

datrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

f150hiram:   You gonna tell us what happened at the dealer.   Might help us in the future.

f150hiram 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
They've had my truck in for 4 days now and yesterday they told me it should be ready for today(7-9-04) they said they had to order a new instrument cluster for it. If they do happen to finish it today I will give you guys a full report to the extent of my damages tonight.
datrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
Any info yet????????????????
Cptbrainiac 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Ditto.  I've been checking this thread every day to find out the outcome.  Consider this my own little Days of Our Lives.

Bill
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
This is the third person today that I read about who is screwed because they are two cheap to buy a $20 bypass unit. Just like the other guy who took the chip out of his new and taped it to the colum and lost the chip. Why Why Why is the only thing I can ask. This is a valueble lesson to be learned for all new installers. Use the correct parts and speng the money if need be.
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
f150hiram 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I went on Saturday to see for myself what going on and to get a few things I needed out of the truck and when they walked back into the shop area, my truck looked like it was on life support! It had all kinds of computers connected to it, the dash and glove cmpartment areas are all apart and the mechanic working on it told me he working on it and doing all the diagnostics test, he replace the instrument cluster and did everything his book told him to do but still nothing, he was going to cut new keys and try that if not he was going to get a hold of Ford on Monday morning for some extra help.
What a mess this has turned into.
loudsh*t 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
all over a cheap ass part.
Best Buy Installer
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
loudsh*t wrote:
all over a cheap ass part.
-its a lesson learned, but i dont think he needs a reminder right now, chump.
-anyways, keep us updated.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic