icon

Best 5 1/4's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Im looking for the best sounding 5 1/4 speakers out there, I want to hook up a 4 channel 100rms amp to the speakers. 100rms each speaker. what is the best speaker out there that will handle all  that wattage without geting distorted. Price isn't really an issue. Im running 2  10" L7's so not really looking for bassy speakrs just soundthing that will handle the wattage.
I guess that guy has subs.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing to do is go to stores and listen.  What kind of music do you listen to?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
You'll have to go out and listen, like Kfr01 said.  5 1/4 speakers seem to be doing the way of the dinosaur, at least that's the way it seems in philadelphia.  They generally hold 100-130 watts per speaker in peak wattage not rms.  I have a pair of Panasonic CJ-DD133 5 1/4 that I got from Circuit City on clearance for $12.00.  Crutchfiield has them rated at amp power of 2 to 35 watts with 140 watts peak.  I don't think I'll put a 100 watts per channel to them.  More like 40 to 50 watts per channel.   Hope this helps.
Harv
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

If you want to feed them that much power look at component speakers from quality speaker brands:   quart, focal, dynaudio, eclipse, memphis, diamond, etc.   AND put them on a high pass crossover around 100hz.  If you get a decent build speaker and put a high pass crossover on it you can feed them quite a bit of clean power. 

The crossovers that come w/ a good quality set of components also usually have tweeter protection so even if you send them too much power the sensitive tweeter won't be damaged. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Now are you talking about coaxials or components? I don't think there are any reputable coxials out there that need 100 watts RMS to sound good and if there are, the manufacturer is fibbing. Anyway, the "best" out there is really going to come down your personal tastes and opinions. I would suggest looking into something from MB Quart's Discus line. The ones in the link are the 5.25 components that need about 90 watts RMS. I've the 6.5 inch models and they sounded great to me. But something else may sound better to you. Like everyone else says, hit the car audio shops in your area with one of your favorite CD's sample every speaker set up that you can.   
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Best   5 1/4's -- posted image.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
what sounds best is always going to be a personal choice that's why there are so many companies selling speakers
z28plus 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Focals are my fav.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
And how many of these "brand name" speakers are made by the same sweat shop speaker factory in Singakoreachinatiawanapore. Head out and listen to the speakers and buy the ones that you like the sound of and will fit in the vehicle and your budget. Another bump for the MB Quart line, sighs....Focal as well are great speakers (looks around to make sure no one sees me typing this).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
...Another bump for the MB Quart line, sighs....Focal as well are great speakers (looks around to make sure no one sees me typing this).
HAHAHAHA....I was gonna mention eclipse Rob but....he wants 100 watts rms...so the example I gave was as close as I could find.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Best   5 1/4's -- posted image.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx guys..best bet is just to go out and listen huh? thought maybe there was something special out there. I listen to all types of music but  my subs play rap great but lacks on the rock so i was hoping to get some speakers to fill the gap and also have my music sound crisp and clean not the distroted sh*t i got now. i got some precision power speakers from the jap shops and yikes!

I guess that guy has subs.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic