icon

Explorer stealthboxes, just amazing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have been planning this project for quite some time. I have been building 2 stealthboxes for my X and they look amazing. Before I do anything else I would like to thank DYohn and Custumsuburb for their help and expertise. Custums recomended the JBL amp to me and I could not be happier with it. Amazing piece of technology right there. They have helped me whenever I faulted and I do appreciate it.
So without further delay I would like to present you with the best looking install I could dream up. The pics are on the cardomain site, best I could do.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/604166
So there you have it, the write up is extensive on the boxes and I wrote it to be read so please do. Maybe this will inspire others to do what I have done. I would also like to open this up to a question forum. If anyone wants to attempt something similar I would love to help.
With any criticism please keep it positive and offer a way to fix it, or how it could be done better, if anyone finds fault in it.
I won't be able to check this much because I am going to yellowstone tomorrow morning! I just finished everything yesterday because I wanted to wrap up before I left. Needed my cargo space too :)
So hopefully I will see a few replies tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone, and sign the guest book!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Looks great man.  I really like the subwoofer boxes.  The install looks very clean.  Do you plan on putting any sort of grills over the woofers to protect them from sliding items in the back?

Great page.  I really like how you stepped through the box building w/ pictures. 

I also think the clear speaker grills look pretty cool.  The one tiny criticism I would have is they don't quite look acoustically transparent.  If it were me I'd put a few more holes around the tweeter area.  Good work!

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Nice work, thanks for sharing the info and pics.  (Makes my install look amateurish...I'll have to start rethinking some things...)
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am gonna order some audiobahn chrome grilles off sounddomain when I get back from my trip. Thanks for the input all
As far as the speaker grilles go, that was the problem I ran into was the holes. The first one died when I tried to drill more, because I planned it with too many. The current one I tested by putting on a song with tons of highs, I think I used an emo band or something, I don't remember. What I did was I put the song on, turned treb up high, and put volume around 3/4. I let it play and I took turns sliding the grille in front of and off of the speaker. The volume went down slightly when it was on, but that did not really hurt because these speakers are LOUD. If anything I think it masks a little of the harshness of the super tweeter, which is super high pitched. Whenever I upgrade to components though, the tweeter won't be there, so for now it works pretty well. But you are right it does mask a little sound, but not enough to bother me at this point.
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
yellowstone is awesome!
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I like that the holes aren't perfectly symetrical...it gives the grill a designer look.  But the sub grilles...Audiobahn chrome???  On Infinity Kappa Perfects?  Any other choices?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
That was the other thing, if anyone can recomend some good grilles for under 50 bucks a pair shipped, I would really appreciate it. That was just the first thing I found on cardomain.... I want to be able to see the woofer though, none of that mesh crap...
Thanks dude
stevdart 
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

These grills from Parts Express protect the speaker but don't hide it.  Black or chrome.  I can see using black with your low-profile, uncluttered look.  They stick out about 1 and 1/2 inches.  I use one in chrome, and get a lot of positive comments on the look.  And when I packed the trunk tight for vacation, the speaker stayed protected and played on without complaint.

icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hrm, interesting. I am going for more of a circular grille though, any other suggestions?
Honestly I am not sure how much I like the bars, but I could get used to it. If you have any pics of them installed post um up here.
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Looks awesome, makes me wish I had the patience to build a stealthbox, I wussed out and had JL Audio do mine :)
Tim-May!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic