icon

Is MDF particle dust harmful?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
If I cut MDF sheets and don't wear a mask, is that harmful?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Well, it can clog up your nose, ears and mouth, but I don't think it is "harmful" like being poisonous.  Definately wear good eye protection!
Support the12volt.com
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. There's a lot more dust involved with MDF than there is with (for example) plywood. I'm asthmatic so I use a respirator to keep the dust out. Even though I do my cutting outside I don't take any chances. I would suggest getting one like that as opposed to getting those cheap paper masks (which don't really work).
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Is MDF particle dust harmful? -- posted image.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Is a regular goggle from Home Depot enough for eye protection? And is a paper mask not enough? I cut 2 MDF sheets last weekened to build my sub and had quite lot of dust that I had to vacuum. The most dust I got was from cutting the center hole for the speaker, with my Rotozip tool. I made a mistake and forgot to drill a starting point hole, so I did that with the rotozip "saw-drill" and the starting point became black and smoke started coming out (from burning)
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
I use these which i got from home depot. i like them because they protect your eye all the way around. The other try (sun glasses style) is good too.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Is MDF particle dust harmful? -- posted image.
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
If your outside making a box or two on a table saw I wouldn't worry.  However there is a significant amount of adhesive used to make the material, that stuff is REALLY bad for you.  If you burn some MDF you'll notice a disticnt odor, that is bad stuff turning into even worse compounds.  So if you are gonna do alot of work with it I would definatly consider a resporator.  It is also possible to develope allergies to materials like MDF (or any wood at all) but that is rare. 
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info shaman. I won't be doing it anymore unless to build another box for my sub and trash the one I built. I want to make a new one shaped to fit my cabody interior well and take up less room. The smell was distinct but I did not smell it for more than a second and I did it outdoors with lots of wind blowing so I guess I got lucky. I should really invest in a respirator since they cost about 40$ and can save my future life. And living in NYC, you never know when you're gonna need one anyway!
and Swekster, I tried clicking on your link to homedepot but it does not show me the product. Can you give me the name or item number or SKU number if you can? Thanks.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
all lumber dust can be harmfull, a good dust respirator, and good safety glasses will do wonders, also be sure to work in a well ventilated area
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

It's called a half-mask respirator.  Any good building supplies or hardware store carries them.  Cartridges are screw-in.  It's best to use the double cartridges, giving you protection from both dusts (with a HEPA filter), and organic vapors (with activated charcoal).

Having a beard will prevent proper fit, and make sure you get one that is NIOSH-approved.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the link..the SKU# is 298431. They're $3.98 on Home depot.com
Duane...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic