icon

Need opinions for new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Krazzyborri 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone I'm building a new system in my 1993 Lexus Es. I've got (4) 6.5 Beyma speakers for my mids and (4) Kicker R22's for the highs. I'll be using 2 12" Eclipse dvc's running on a Memphis 1000D. I plan on getting the Memphis MC-3004 for the Beymas and Kickers. The Beyma's are 8 ohm so im going to wire them in series to 2 channels to make it into a 4 ohm load. The kickers will be wired to 2 channels in parallel to remain at the 4 ohms. I need a signal processor/crossover. Im not sure which one to pick up. I need something where I can get 3 inputs (front, rear, sub) and at least 3 outputs (high, mid, low). Right now im looking into the Kenwood DDX-7015 as the headunit.

Hows my Setup?? Did I choose decent equipment?? What kind of processor should I get?? How are my wiring ideas??

Any suggestions or opinions on my setup would be great. I would really appreciate that !!!    

Thanx Everyone!!! 

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'm a little confused about your wiring. Are you wiring the speakers on each side in series? If the rear speakers are overpowering the front speakers, how will you change it?
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Way too much on the highs.  Why all the tweeters?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah..too many highs dude. Are you going for more of a surround sound type of effect?
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Need opinions for new system - Last Post -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Come up with a better game plan for us to critique. While I can gather wahat you are doing, I want to know where you will be installing each speaker in the vehicle as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring 8 ohm Beymas in series would result in a 16 ohm load.  You would instead wire them in parallel to each side.  The tweeters are already 4 ohm, so neither series or parallel will work.  All I can see is one tweeter per side, in the front, for a 4 ohm load on the amp.  You could use 4 ohm L-pads to attenuate the rear Beymas.  But all in all you have some good equipment to work with, but it seems like you are attempting to put too much on the four channel amp.  It's tough working with 8 ohm mids.  You must have gotten a deal on them.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Krazzyborri 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart you're right the Beymas have to be wired in parallel in order to achieve the 4 ohm load. The Beymas would be mounted to the front doors and rear deck. As for the tweeters I didn't think I had too many. I was trying to get a 1 to 1 on the mids and tweets, and I thought if anything I can just reduce the gain on the tweeters. Should I only use 2 instead of the 4 tweeters?? As for the amp wiring I was maybe thinking of bridging the 3004 into two channels and just putting the 4 beymas in parallel, then maybe getting another amp for the tweeters. Any ideas on how I should wire this up??

Thanx for the replies. I like the different point of views from experienced others.   

Krazzyborri.........

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

I'm of the opinion that there should generally be one speaker pair per portion of the frequency range.  i.e.   I'd try to use 1 set of 6.5" woofers for midbass drivers 60 or 80hz - 250hz or so, 1 set of 6.5" drivers for midrange 250-2500hz, 1 set of tweeters for 2500 up, and the subs filling out the bottom. 

If doubling up on anything, I'd lean toward the midbass.

Sorry about the comment 'way to many'  I was reading fast and thought it was 4 sets of tweets.  Either way, I would keep the highs to the front unless you're going for multimedia.

Krazzyborri 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of crossover or signal processor should I get???
kfr01 
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

What do you think your final setup is going to look like?  Figure out what amplifiers are powering what speakers first. 

Some of the head units out there have great crossovers on board.  I know nothing about kenwood, so can't help you there.  If your head unit has a crossover and it works, use it.

AudioControl makes awesome crossovers and signal processors.  How much are you looking to spend?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic