icon

Mount my amp on top of sub enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onsatmex5 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
Is it ok to mount my amp, on top of my sub enclosure? I want to use small screws that will not go through the box to mount it. I am running out of room in mt trunk. :)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

I can't say it better than this:  http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

This is a good page for anyone to read, but to find the specific information about mounting your amplifier, scroll down after you visit the link.

Support the12volt.com
onsatmex5 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I read that whole thing at. {http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm} Thank you Great info..
I really do not have a choice I have no more room :{ My sub box is really well braced, So I think it will be ok. this is the box I am using.
Mount my amp on top of sub enclosure? -- posted image.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed my system and mounted the amp on the box. I also needed the trunk space, plus its only a temporary amp, and I have a very solid box. I think that most amps today should be able to hadle the vibrations.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

I always make custom amp racks for amps. But if trunk space is an issue you want to think about another place.

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
No matter how well built that box is, the amp will take a pounding when those subs are hitting.  Look at the space you want the amp to occupy, and figure out how to get an isolated shelf in there to connect the amp to.  If there is no way but to use the box as the support, isolate the mounting shelf with springs.  The spring feet would be screwed directly to the box, and then the support shelf will be screwed to the spring feet, so that there is no screw or bolt directly contacting both the sub box and the amp support shelf.  The amp would then be screwed to the shelf.  You will get a vibration-free amp this way.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I already mounted my amp on the sub box, although i will be getting a new amp sometime. When I get my new amp what should i do about the screwholes in the box?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Put screws back in them.  Paint the flat head type wood screws to match the cabinet carpet, and the carpet pile should hide them pretty well.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic