New To Installing Remote Starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
newinstaller 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am a new installer with some experience. I know how to do some alarms.

I am learning starters now.

Most common cars I do are Honda 90-98 Civics. I want to know about installing remote starters into them

First Question) Bulldog Security Says that Civics 96-98 have 2 Ignition Wires, if I am installing a Compustar How do I know if both Ignition wires need to be hooked up ( sorry if it is a stupid quesiton ) on this car or any car?

Any help would be great as every installer has started off like me :)

Thanks

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
If the list shows 2 of them hook them up. If you dont the car wont start. most times (not sure on the bulldog site) if an IGN wire dont need to be used it say so. i only see a few though. Same goes for the ACC if has more and one hook them up. Most alarms today have the wire for it, usallly 2 IGN and 2 ACC.
newinstaller 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Why would there be a 2ng Ignition anyways?
newinstaller 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

But.... Does anyone know this car? Does the 2nd Ignition have to be hook ed up for my own knowledge

Thanks

aidipf 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
i'm not sure if it MUST to be hooked up but like swamprat323 said, it's always good to just hook both up anyway to avoid future conflicts of any kind. if you are stil curious about having to hook up the 2nd ign then i eould say test it without the wire hooked up first and then with it on. in most cases though, the 2nd and 3rd are not a MUST, especially the 3rd
mr. innovations
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
my friend... if you are new to installing remote starters there is only one critical piece of wisdom i can give you....avoid garbage like Bulldog at all costs...their product failure rate is around fifty percent and it will reflect poorly on your abilities even if you installed it 100 % correctly....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
cloppy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

how would you test to see if you need the hook up the 2nd Ignition?

Sorry if it is a stupid quesion

thanks

jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Most hondas and nissans have two ign wires also they have two (start wires) they both need to be hooked up in order for proper operation of the system. Note that the two start wires are a critical factor for a remote start. The car uses two of them mostly for colder climate (quoted from a dealer). The two ign wires are located in the main harness under the dash. The colors are 1st - yellow  2nd- BLACK / YELLOW
MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
like a few others are saying if, the wiring diagram says it has a 2nd ignition and the alarm has a 2nd ignition wire, hook it up. some newer cars neeed that 2nd ignition to run properly. Ive seen on some GMC's where if you dont hook up the 2nd ignition then the computer will throw transmission trouble codes or the transmission wont shift right possibly causing damage to the trans.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
A good wire diagram can be your best friend when learning how to install. I had a terrible one or so I thought for my first install and it tokk forever to get it completed. The best way to know what wires you need to connect is by looking at several wire diagrams and comparing them. Then be sure to test every wire before making your connection.
Bulldog has a basic wire diagram list
Design-tech has another
There are others but would require purchasing.
Earlier Hondas are about as simple as you can get though. wait until you get into anti-theft systems and all of the different door lock types and you will have to learn a whole new set of rules. Once you are familiar with things though it is all very manageable.
Good luck and dont hesitate to ask your questions even if you think they are stupid. And NewInstaller, you might want to change your user name unless you plan on always being a newbie.   
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic