Using two head units

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
webxfx 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I've got a client who came to me with TWO head units and wanting them both hooked up, I've never done this kind of setup.

Is there anything out there to do switching of the RCA's?  Not that it maters the two head units that he's got it Sony's XAV-7W and MEX-5D1

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
is there some reson this guy wants 2 head units? I mean... if hes got some problem with changing CD's they do have this little thing called a CD changer Using two head units -- posted image. lol, besides I dont think there is such a thing as an RCA switcher though I could be wrong but where's the practicality of having 2 head units?
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe he wants to have 2 four channel amps for 8 different speakers in his car and listen to the concurrently. Lol...I don't know myself.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
2 four channel amps for 8 channels.. wont that be playing two separate head units? I wonder how anyone can put the two head units in sync. That must sound really interesting. Would one call that "music piglatin" or "miglatin"?Using two head units -- posted image. Seriously, I think it may be for the different features of the two HUs and maybe he got them as gifts and each has its own sets of good features maybe?   As far as wiring them, I would think you can put Y cables and join the two HU's to the amp, but ask the customer to play only one HU at a time but not both together (unless he wants to hear the recently invented term miglatin).
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
You could do it with an RCA switcher that will automatically swicth when it senses a signal from one head unit or the other. But using this he won't be able to play them both at the same time. hopefully the head units he wants to use have both front and rear RCA outputs (makes the install easier I think). If not you might have to use LOCs on them and that could cause a distortion problem.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Using two head units -- posted image.
insanity 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
this guy isnt jamaican is he???... i see this all the time here... 2 different hu's strapped under the dash with plumbers tape, a pre amp (or 2), realistic supertweeters screwed down on rear deck... some real nightmares in wiring.... see lots of factory decks used in different cars..(ie. factory chevy radio in nissan sentra).. these are some of the things i deal with on a regular basis!!!
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
insanity wrote:
this guy isnt jamaican is he???... i see this all the time here... 2 different hu's strapped under the dash with plumbers tape, a pre amp (or 2), realistic supertweeters screwed down on rear deck... some real nightmares in wiring.... see lots of factory decks used in different cars..(ie. factory chevy radio in nissan sentra).. these are some of the things i deal with on a regular basis!!!
Dude,
I'm Jamaican..So I resent that comment.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Using two head units -- posted image.
webxfx 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

ok so here is more of the story,

one unit is a Screen and the other is CD player, he also wants a PS2 in the whole setup so that's why he wants both.

What I've come up with is to use the CD player as the main headunit, and connect the Audio of the PS2 to the AUX of the CD player and the Video to the Screen unit and use it only to play video.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
yes this can be done quite easily if you use the proper interface...we used to use one made by PIE but i havent seen it in the catalogue for a year or 2.... do a search for a multi head unit switching device.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
now it all makes sense. initially I thought the units were similar such as both being HU's with CD/Tuner etc. So they do different jobs and thats perfectly useful and quite cool actually. I wanted to do something similar, having a CD player/tuner and a screen. Any good ideas on whats a good screen to buy? Visor screens or in dash screen? I vote for visor screen to keep at bay from thieves but thats only my humble opinion.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic