icon

Which Sound Deading marterial?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2002 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i've looked alllllllllll over the place and have found the 2 cheapest materials:

(((((((All materials INCLUDE S&H charges))))

E-Dead by Elemental Designs:

-------43mil thick @ 60sq. ft. for $62.54

--------60mil thick @ 60sq. ft. for $83.97

Fatmat Extreme by Fatmat:

--------45mil thick @ 100sq. ft. for $140.00

by all my calculations, Fatmat is the cheapest for the price...

Has anyone use either of these brands? Any comments about these????

Thanks!

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2002 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I would either use Cascade or Dynomat, except no substitutes. I have worked with other materials and actually did some studies on them for a acoustics class I took a few semesters ago. We set up several identical boxes and and used different damping material inside them to see how much SPL and resonations etc we prevented with each material. We found that no one came close to Cascade or Dynomat, we used E-dead and some others I cannot recall the names of them. It was a while ago, I would have to dig up my report and see what the brands were, but I do recall that they were significantly worse than Dynomat or Cascade. Good luck.
Craig
Philo 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2002 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
This stuff is all the same, Buy the cheapest that is appropriate to your application. The install is the most important thing. invest in a heat gun to heat the material and the surface it is sticking to. I like to put this stuff in on a hot day. I lay the sheets out on the hot pavement, and let them heat up that way. Saves time, and the material is heated more evenly than with a gun. Also use a roller and get it stuck down into all the "nooks and crannies" realy good.
17 years in the 12 volt industry MECP 1st Class
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2002 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

I like to use Brown Bread. I have used all kinds of different deadeners and belive it has the best performance and price. 70 sq feet is about $155.00 shipped to your door. Here is b-quiet  check them out  http://www.b-quiet.com

crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2002 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
I disagree that they are all they same, but whatever you guys want to do. The density of the material and the type of material that the dampning material is made out of makes a huge difference. I would look at the rating of density per cubic meter or whatever and compare those values, the manufacture will give them to you if it is not specified on the package. The goal ultimately is to decrease the amount of unwanted resonating frequency. It all depends on how much effect you really want and what type of results you are expecting from it.   But the cheaper stuff is usually more difficult to work with as well. There are a lot of trade offs.
Craig
LilRichard 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
One other material to check out is Stinger's Road Kill. I have used that stuff for years and I feel it is interchangeable with Dynamat. I don't have a retail price off hand... i get it from a distributor.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 13 square foot roll of dynamat original for sale any one interested e mail me at mobiletoys2002@msn.com .

TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

well i'll tell you my situation...

i have a straight pipe on my car... no cat and no muffler...

so my exhaust is loud as hell... i want to put the dampening material all over the back of my hatchback so that the exhaust isnt LOUD in the car as much

i'm not using the material for stereo purposes... so what material so you suggest for this?

soundinstaller 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Rapture,

Look into Cascade Audio's noise decoupling matt.

vb45

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/barrier.html

SI

The Sound Installer
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Check out http://www.b-quiet.com Get the Brown Bread and a sheet or two of their L Comp. When used in conjunction with each other the results will amaze you. Used it in a Mustang Cobra with the same set up as you and it made it sound about stock.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic