icon

Is Ebay reliable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jakediggity 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

I am thinking about purchasing a head unit on Ebay because it is priced at $ 329 rather than $549 at crutchfield, and I was wondering if these wholesalers are the real deal or if they're takin a dump in a box and slappin a guarentee on it.  If any of you have horror stories of buyin from ebay or think that its safe to shop there let me know, thanks.

Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have been buying on Ebay for 3 years now.  I have only run into one small problem in that entire time, doing over 60 transactions.  The biggest thing I can recomend is pay through something like paypal and your credit card for added security reasons.  Also Read the fine print because that $329 head unit may turn into $429 if you didn't read the part about the $100 dollar flat fee shipping.  Etc.  Feedback about sellers is usually fairly accurate to how they perform.   Look for sellers with higher feedback ratings.  And always ask quesions about the product if you have any concerns.  New in box? open box? used?  refurbished?  I've gotten some great deals through Ebay you just need to shop hard and read the details.

Best of Luck!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Excellent advice above.  There is nothing wrong with shopping on ebay as long as you understand the limitations and do your homework.  Also I would suggest you ask the sellers if the factory warranties are honored on the purchase.
Support the12volt.com
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
The reliability depends on the seller. I've both bought and sold stuff on ebay. When I'm selling something I try to give as much info as possible in my description. And I try to answer questions as soon as possible with as much detail as I can provide. Look for sellars that do that too.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Is Ebay reliable? -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

Another tip on buying from individual sellers:  look at the "seller's other auction items".  I remember one who said the item (ink cartridge) I was interested in was never used because she got a new printer.  Looking at her other auction items, I saw that she used the same reason for other types of cartridges (that would fit different printers).  I knew then that the seller wasn't trustworthy.

And always email a seller with a question that needs a somewhat knowledgeable answer before you place a bid.  If they are selling the item, they need to know something about it.  Do the same for the big stores, and you'll get some kind of idea of their service and response ethics.  Don't bid anyway because the time is running out...there are plenty more out there.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
I've had great experiences with eBay as well...I've done over 30 purchases and all have gone through well. One time an item got looked over and when I didn't have it after 2 weeks, I emailed the seller, and because he didn't want negative feedback(I didn't even threaten him or anything, just asked nicely where it was), he sent it via express shipping, refunded all of my money, and sent me an extra lense filter(I was ordering a camera lense filter.)
Over the last couple weeks I've had 10 items for my new system arrive from eBay auctions, and I'm happy with all of them, and saved hundreds of dollars. Is Ebay reliable? -- posted image.
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, always look at the feedback, and go back a couple of pages at least, and you can tell if they are going to be worthwhile. The amount of money I have made/saved by buying and selling on Ebay has been awesome.
Tim-May!
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
i bought alot of audio off of it. Just make sure exactly you know what you are getting. Theres a few bad apples in ebay just like everything else. So be sure to ask questions!
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
I say ebay is cool for small componets, but I guarentee you will not get a real warranty or one that doesn't take 3 months to get service through anyone on ebay. I get all my connectors, my RCA junk, and stuff that is mostly maintenance free off ebay. Other than that I dont buy squat. I dont trust these people who say they have a 1 year MTX warranty or w/e brand you buy, and if its JL you know their full of it because JL doesn't have authorize internet dealers. Trust me, if you want something with a warranty that is honerable dont buy off ebay. Ebay and warranties aint happenein. Oh, and dont buy those $50 1600watt amps or w/e deal those fools in cali are offering cuz those amps are really cheap and they do not offer refunds. You live and you learn, then u get smart.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Buying from dealers on ebay isnt much differant then buying from any other website. Buying from private sellers can be a little riskier, what you are getting could not even work.    The large companys with near 100% positive feedback shouldnt be a problem, but for my money I would still rather buy from a local dealer.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic