icon

Newbie, custom fiberglass encolsure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
r0yal 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hello there, I am very new to this fiberglassing stuff ,and am very interested..
is this what I need to buy?? say if I'm making a custom fiberglass encolsure
http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=9624
and I can use basically any material? like, say I'm making a small box, I can use a big enough t-shirt to wrap, then just spread that stuff in the link on?? lol.. plz help :D
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
That's a reinforced body filler, which you wouldn't want to use to construct the mold for a fiberglass sub enclosure. You'll want to use fiberglass resin combined with fiberglass mat or cloth.
I suggest having a look at these links. Newbie, custom fiberglass encolsure  -- posted image.
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
and for when I make my thing, do I have to place the fiberglass cloth/mat on the top? or just the bottom layer, and then use any material for the top of the enclosure...? I read those tutorials, but just want to make sure. thx
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  

You're better off going to US Composites to get your fiberglass materials. Get the 2 ounce chop mat and the premium resin (about $20 a gallon), B-440 I think. You can get regular body filler there too, though I prefer Evercoat Rage Gold which they don't carry. Call a local auto body supplier and see if they carry it.

The material you use for each layer depends on the enclosure. You can use a fiberglass base or an MDF base. Then build your frame on that, wrap it in fabric and resin it.

r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
well, thing is... I am in Canada... and I can get those items I mentioned through work...and I can also get the "rage gold" body filler :)   so, would those items be good enough for what I can get ?
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

ok, so I am at work now, and I have in front of me

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=6221

this, in a 1 Gallon container

and

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=6226

but, 38' x 3 yards

is this the correct items I need??  and will that be enough cloth?? plz help me haha...

CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
The resin will work and so will the cloth. Personally I use chop mat and not woven mat but it should still work. I couldn't tell you if it's enough without knowing the size of your box and the wrapping fabric used. Since you can get it at work I wouldn't worry about it. Just get some more than next day if you run out.
r0yal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
oh ok..thx :) lol... we can get the "evercoat" products through work...and I get them fairly cheap... so do you know if they would have any "chop mat"   I checked www.evercoat.com  and I didnt see any, unless its a different name... I seen fiberglass mat... should I order some of that instead of the cloth? is it better to work with? stronger? easier to shape? cheaper?
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

theopposite of everything you asked, harder to work with, weaker, harder to shape, but it is cheaper, and will do the job fine.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic