icon

Shops won't sell me an alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
renethewizard 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

True, That's one receipt you need to keep in the vault.  I wonder how they will fix a car that burned to the ground. Just kidding. Nevertheless I found a shop that would sell me both. Fair price. He even said,  "you know I shouldn't be selling this to you right".  It's probably not worth losing your DEI products for a small profit on one alarm so most shops probably won't chance it; but I still think DEI is stupid. They should just void any liability if not installed by a certified installer, not refuse to sell it.  Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction. Will install this weekend.

"A jack of all trades is a master of none"
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
refusing to sell it lowers the tech assistance calls and returns, just because you know what your doing doesn't mean the next guy will and then he calls dei to figure out why it won't work yadda yadda
renethewizard 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
But see heres the beauty of it. I'm not certified but if dei had a way to identify who was then they could only give tech support to those people, like they probably do now. I'm not saying that I will have a flawless install, but if something went wrong, I knew what I was getting myself into to begin with. The shops would benefit by making a killing on peoples bad, half done installs. DEI could avoid returns by not honoring them if they were not installed by someone who DEI authorizes. So it comes down to install at your own risk. What's wrong with that. I wonder what the figures would look like if they did a benefit cost analysis on the additional products sold to the cost of the tech calls. Someone has to at least agree that the shops would make money. Because more than likely they'll sell you an alarm and end up fixing your mistake.
"A jack of all trades is a master of none"
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

as a shop owner doing exactly what you suggest i have this to say:   most shops don't want to clean up customers sloppy install jobs.... it's a pain in the a** to sift through spagetti trying to figure out what the heck they did wrong....

and i'm sure that the reason DEI doesnt want hack install jobs done with their products is because it reflects poorly on the product... for every 1 customer who grumbles about a sloppy install or product problem 10 potential DEI customers look at another product.....

i guess DEI's philosophy is similar to my store philosphy here.... Do it right or don't do it at all !!

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mecpcert_1 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
i'll have to agree with kgerry. 'don't think i could of said better!
do it right the first time....less warranty work=more money!:)
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
You can purchase them at most Best Buy or Circuit City stores.  They will sell them to you.  I have to disagree with SRoth on his reply, Best Buy doesn't include a "free install" mark up in their prices.
Do it right the first time
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

raydawg357 wrote:
You can purchase them at most Best Buy or Circuit City stores.  They will sell them to you.  I have to disagree with SRoth on his reply, Best Buy doesn't include a "free install" mark up in their prices.

Yes they do. the mark up on security systems and remote starters is insane because the labor for the basic installation is included in the price. All big box retailers do this, because 90% of the people who buy these types of products NEED to get them installed.

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

raydawg357 wrote:

have you ever read the tag?  A MATERIALS FEE OF $4 APPLIES, EXTRA PARTS AND EXTENSIVE LABOR EXTRA.

thats why next to the FREE tag it has the little * next to it, for see notes below.  I am an installer there so im pretty sure i know how my company handles selling remote starts, keyless entry, and alarms.

MECP certified installer
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I'm also an installer for Best Buy and I was refering  to the cost of the module not the alarm.  There isn't a "free install labor" included in the price of the 530T.  We both made general statements that were taken out of context.
Do it right the first time
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Shops won't sell me an alarm - Page 2 -- posted image.
MECP certified installer
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic