icon

amp cuts out!!!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

i got an SPL 1200 W series 2 amp on  2 Visonik 1065S4's... when i bridge the amp to  the subs....when the music hits a really deep or really long base line,,, the amp will cut out and the subs excursion will go like in slow motion..... i got a stock alt. and  no cap...and the little LED and the end of the AMP would go from green to red and then back to green when it starts to play normal....it usually happens when the volume on the deck is above 25 .. whats the deal?  when i unbridge it and run each channels it doesnt happen but obviously it doesnt hit as hard as i want it to...them subs are nasty and have potential to sound insane....also...(01 Dodge Ram Reg Cab) the subs hit harder and sound better when i have my windows all the way down......like extremely noticable...whats the deal?  thanks for the help

nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

if they are bridged your probably running a 2 ohm load and your amp isnt 2 ohm stable, your gonna have to get a better amp or deal with not bridging them,

shott8283 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
they are SVC subs and the amp is 2 ohm stable ... im assuming that the speakers are 4 ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

Is your amplifier mono or stereo?

Support the12volt.com
shott8283 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

2 ohm stable stereo....... but 1 X 600 Watts RMS Mono    and can you explain the difference?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
OK, if it is "2-ohm stereo stable" then that means it requires a minimum of 2-ohms PER CHANNEL.  That means when you bridge it (connecting both channels togehter) it must have at least a 4-ohm load.  If you have two 4-ohm SVC woofers connected in parallel, you are overloading the amp as this results in a 2-ohm load.  What you have to do is wire the speakers in SERIES for a total 8-ohm load and connect that to the bridged amp.  This is the only way your gear will be stable.  (Or, connect each speaker to its own channel, which results in the same load on the amp and the same output as 8-ohms bridged.)  If your amp is rated at 600 watts X 1 into 4-ohms, it will produce 300 watts into 8-ohms.  Cheers.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic