the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

compustar features

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

i have a clifford concept 200 with an intellistart 4 and one smartwindows 4 module on a 1999 civic.  i'm really satisfied with all the features i have, but i am craving two things - 2way communication and longer range, like compustar's spread spectrum model.

Does this the 2WSS-AS from compustar have the window control capability of the smartwindows 4 add-on?  i really want to keep the one-touch up and down features, and the roll-up on arm and roll-down on disarm features.

slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

compustar is the best on the market today!!

and yes to your question

Optional Auxiliary 1 & Auxiliary 2

The auxiliary system is an optional car feature that can be tailored for your vehicle by your local authorized CompuStar dealership. The auxiliary feature allows

you to customize the buttons on your remote-pager to add more functionality to your car. For example, you can customize your car to have remote power

control of your windows, radio, and sunroof in addition to the rooftop on your convertible car. The remote-pager has two outputs (Aux 1 & Aux 2) that can be

custom utilized with optional features.

vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, there is a module for 4 windows. But I'm not sure if it works the same way as your Clifford does.
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
The Compustar will not give you the one touch up and down. You can use a DEI 530t module which will give you those features (one touch up and down), and the Compustar will control it. DEI doesn't have installation instructions for alarm stuff on their site anymore, but I recall someone saying that smart windows 4 will only work with a Clifford alarm (G4, I think). You might want to check on the Clifford 2 way LCD.
bzzzzttttt
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
tcool is correct. compustar will not give you one touch up and down, but rather, you can use it to control an external windows module, such as a DEI 530t. in your post you didn't mention how many windows you have but i'll assume you have 2 since you're satisfied with your setup and the smartwindows4 only controls 2 windows.
tcool is also right regarding the smartwindows4 only being functional with clifford g4 alarms. the smartwindows4 trigger inputs run through the data port cable connected to the main brain of the clifford alarm unit, and as the name of it implies, the signals sent are data signals...not positive/negative triggers. i believe some (or most) of the clifford g5 alarms will be compatable, but i'm not 100% sure.
you should be aware of a few of the features that your clifford concept 200 has that the compustar does not. the clifford has a true 2-point passive immobilizer that is automatically active with ignition off, while the compustar only has an active starter kill. also, the auxilliary outputs of the clifford can be programmed to be pulsed, timed, or latched while the compustar's lacks the timer option. the timer option can be really handy in certain situations. also, the clifford shock sensor can be adjusted through the remote but not so on the compustar.
when it comes to range though, compustar really is superior to clifford g4....even the non-spread spectrum one is better than clifford g4's. they both have extended range antennas, but the clifford's range is not all that much better (if at all) in comparison to any typical entry level alarm.
hope that helps!
tcool 
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Compustar has come out with the 900fmr, which works on 900mhz. The remote is much sleeker than the SS, and the range is only slightly shorter. I actually switched my SS to the 900 (all you have to do is swap the remote and antenna) and can barely tell the difference. I was recently at a lake and measured the reception range at about a mile and a quarter away on my boat. Of course, you are rarely going to find flat unobstructed view to your vehicle like that, but it was so far I couldn't even see the parking lot the truck was in. The 900 isn't on their website yet, but I would recommend it over the SS because of the sleeker remote- it has a clock, countdown timer, shorter passive notification and I think it has a trunk icon. BTW the Compustar does have timed outputs, but you need the optional option programmer to use it. Most Compustar dealers should have it, and it's a simple process so they shouldn't charge you much.

bzzzzttttt
Copper - Posts: 93
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks for all the info guys.
homeguy 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

tcool,

I bought the Compustar SS model and had a lot of trouble with the 2 way remote.  I had two systems installed on two different cars. The one way remote was awesome.  It never failed and always worked.  The range was not as great as the 2-way remote.  Eventually my wife's system stopped working and I wold have to press my 2-way remote 10-12 times to get it to work.  Anyway, FIrstech is replacing my SS unit with their new 900mhz unit.  I hope it's as good as you stated here.  They said the range is only 3k feet.  The SS is rated at 9k feet.  You're saying that you don't see much of a difference.  I hope you're right.  When my SS did work the range was awesome.  One time I was in a multiplex at the back of the theater while my car was on the other end of the parking lot.  The Compustar unit started my car from my seat.  I was pretty amazed.  If they could fix the remote it would be a perfect unit.  Anyway, I'll give up some range for a more stable remote.   Are you still liking your new 900mhz remote?  Does the one way remote also have good range?

Thanks

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
go go compustar!!!!
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
tcool 
Posted: August 17, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
The one way remote is AM, the range is OK. Generally speaking FM is better than AM, 900Mhz is better than FM and Spread Spectrum is the best. To my knowledge, Compustar is the only one using 900 or Spread Spectrum. Their remotes are finicky. Occasionally, the 900 will just not work. It only happens rarely, but I have to emergency disarm the vehicle and then it works fine again. I think the problems are actually in their external antenna and software. The 900 is much better if only for the shorter passive arming tones.
bzzzzttttt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic