icon

MTX Thunder 9500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I was thinking about redoing the system in my car and i was wondering how the new MTX Thunder 9500 series sounds.  They look like they can really hit hard. So yeah any opinions would be nice to hear thanks
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
This sure to start a debate, it always does. I can already tell you that you are gonna get two responses in general. Either people are gonna say the 9500 rocks or they are gonna tell you go with the W7. Stephen is one person who I have talked with at length over this. He has a lot of good solid facts as to why to buy the W7 from JL, but I threw out all the facts and numbers when I auditioned them side by side. I will buy a 9500 anyday of the week before I will touch a W7. They are nice but I think the MTX is just an overall better sub. I personally liked the way it sounded compared to the JL and it wasnt even a close competion when it came to volume. The 9500 smoked the W7. As I said, this is gonna start a damn war, it always does but thats part of the fun of this forum.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
personally, having heard a JL 12w7 in one of those JL custom w7 boxes, and having had the privilage to hear the MTX9500 in a standard box I would have to agree with Raven. I know the JL is a better sub on paper like he said, but sometimes paper just doesn't cut it. I hear the w7 at a competition I went to about 2 months ago, it was loud but not really tight bass, clean, but not the kind of bass I like. I heard my first 9500 about 2 weeks ago when I went to a local install shop and was fortunate enough to arrive at the same time as a guy who had one did. He let me listen to it and I'd have to say, it was unbelievable. I'm running 2 RFP3110, the competition RF HX2 series off dual 1500 watt HiFonics amps, and this sub hit tighter, and more clearly, and much much more tightly (which is to be expected since my subs are pure SPL subs) than my subs. Needless to say since then I've been wondering why I paid so much for this stuff to be outdone by a single sub. Anyway, the JL worshippers will be along soon to discredit my ears, but man, the W7 has some serious competition with the 9500 series. Peace...
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

mtx 9500 thunder is nasty.... BUT keep inmind .. mtx STRONGLY suggests to build a ported/vented box for it.... it just hits harder and sounds better....and they are some monsters....i put 2 in a s - 10 and finally realized that you actually can go to big for a vehicle....cracked a rear window.....no lie...1501D's are suggested to run them...plenty of power and awesome performance....i strongly suggest

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

What is your intended application?  My comments in the past weren't about recomending the W7 over the 9500, but were to refute some of the poor marketing ploys MTX used against the W7.  The 9500 may be the perfect sub for you.  In my opionion it is a little over priced, and you can get similar if not better performance for less.  So I recomend that you go out and listen to several drivers in it's price range (including it) and choosing the one you like best.

Ravendarat, I do want to apologize again for me getting so passionate in our last discussion.  My distaste wasn't directed at you, but at MTX's unethical marketing practices.  Their targeted attacks to downplay a great sub to make theirs look better, and with the use of misinformation and half truths really infuriated me.  I'm more of a believer in that if you have a good product, let it sell itself.  Don't tear others down to make yours look good.

xtreamcc, I'm thinking that you may have heard the W7 in a bad install.  You said it was at a compeition, so maybe it was tuned for SPL and that is why it didn't sound good.  The reason why I assume this is because you are the first person I have ever heard say the W7 didn't have tight bass.  There are a number of things that could have caused this perception within that install that have nothing to do with the driver. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart,  You asked me what my intended use was well i guess i dont really know to be honest with you i have hear the W7 and it sounded great but that matter of the fact is that i can get a new Thunder 9500 for like half the price cause i have a friend that works at a audio place. I guess i wouldnt mind getting a W7 but like i said i can get a 9500 for less that a W7 thats the main reason I am leaning towards the MTX sub.  As far as my intentions go i have had some big bass subs in the past L7's and there were nice but i am getting away from the huge spl numbers and am going for a little better sounding stuff rather than all the bass.  And from what i have heard the 9500 has got great bass and sounds well too.  Ive also heard from other forums and people in general that say that the 9500 and the W7 are actually quite abit alike in quite a few ways so then it goes back to how much i can get the sub for see what i'm saying
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

I think the only way the W7 and 9500 are alike is that they both have the ability to move very far past their Xmax.  This helps in SPL installs, but not for SQ.  But the W7 has a much more linear motor, which means it produces less distortion at any output level.  I would put the W7 as more of an SQ sub, while the 9500 seems to be designed more for SPL.

If you can get the 9500 for half price, then it will definitely be a great choice.  Basically, if you want the ultimate SQ, then there are better choices out there IMO.  But if you want decent SQ with lots of output, then the 9500 would work great.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
I never once thought you were aiming any coments at me to offend me. I understand your frustration and I agree that even though I am a huge MTX suporter, the way they marketed the sub wasnt the best choice. I also wont agree that the W7 sounds better because personally, I think the MTX sounds better but thats an opinion only, but it is quite evident from my own tests the the 9500 is definatly a better built sub for SPL purposes. I would also be interested in what you think is a better sub for the money, lets say for spl purposes, and lets exclude the Adire Audio line, just for the sake of this argument because you can tell me all about adire you want, and I do believe your specs, but without having access to the stuff and never actually hearing one I cant really compare it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

That shouldn't be a problem.  Although we have one guy with great success in the SPL arena using our subs, they really aren't designed specifically for SPL.  Our drivers are designed for SQ first.

[QUOTE] but it is quite evident from my own tests the the 9500 is definatly a better built sub for SPL purposes. [/QUOTE]

I think you are right.  But at the same time, I think the W7 is better built for SQ purposes (which it was designed for). 

[QUOTE] I would also be interested in what you think is a better sub for the money, lets say for spl purposes, [/QUOTE]

Well that depends on what level you are talking about.  For the expert classes, it wouldn't be a good choice.  This is because it is undermotored for it, has too low of an Fs, isn't very efficient, and doesn't look like it would work well in a ported enclosure (no matter what they claim).  So in that case, there are many better choices like DD subs. 

But if you are talking for the street class, then it would work great.  This is for people who want to be loud, but listen to music between competitions.  Although some of the parameters are a little off even for that IMO.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ya, thats why I askd your opinion, I wasnt trying to imply that it was the ultimate SPL sub, I just wanted to know what you thought was better thats all. Generally I ask someone that question and they say "My buddy has "insert product here" and it sounds so loud, it has to be better" when I ask you those types of questions you actually have reasons to back it up which is why I asked
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic