icon

First fiberglass experience not so good

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rockhopper 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all. After reading this website for the last couple weeks, and going through every tutorial I could find a link to, I attempted my first fiberglass layup this weekend.
I have recently raised the drivers seat in my Jeep and wanted to raise the lid of the center console/armrest. My idea was to simply make a 2 inch thick, hollow box to mount on top of the existing console lid.
I began by making the bottom of the new piece. I removed the existing console lid and covered it in blue painters tape, as I read over and over. I think spread a light coating of resin over the tape and let it set. Next, I added 5 additional layers of glass and resin, and let the entire unit dry.
Yesterday, I attempted to remove the console lid from under/inside the fiberglass and was shocked at my inability to do so. The fiberglass was flexible, just as indicated in these forums. However, it was glued VERY STRONGLY to the tape. After about 2 hours, I gave up.
Today, I tried again. Same thing, I simply could not get the fiberglass to release from the tape. Finally, I got pissed of and started to use a screwdriver to separate them. As you can imagine, this ended up gouging the console lid pretty badly AND broke a significant amount of the fiberglass off. When I did finally separate the fiberglass from the console by force, all the tape went with the fiberglass.
My question is, what could I have done to avoid this? Everything I've read said that the blue tape is the best to use, but that can't be true. Is there some kind of release agent I should have put on the tape? If not, what the hell went wrong? I now have a useless chunk of fiberglass, a torn up console lid, and am covered in fiberglass.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
u need a mold release. Just get some wax and spread it over the tape before u apply the fiberglass, I know they make actual 'mold release' but most waxes will work for this.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
rockhopper 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
When you say "wax"...candle wax?...car wax?...hair wax?
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

if you go to a reputable custom shop or install bay, you shuould be able to buy some PVA, it's a specially formulated, awful smelling, green release agent.  Works very well, i keep a big bottle of it at the bay. Where are you located, i might be able to ge you some.

I hate it when you f**k up and in the end all you have is resin in your arm hair.....First fiberglass experience not so good -- posted image. welcome to fiberglass!

xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
PVA! thats the stuff! I cant ever remember that name for squat.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
rockhopper 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. You're making me feel a little better, at least not the total c**k-up I felt like a little while ago. I gotta remember that practice makes perfect, and if this were easy, there would be a lot more people doing it.
Is this the stuff?
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
thats the stuff. And dont go thinking ur dumb or something cuz u screwed something up. U should check out the interior of my car sometime. Thats some messed up fiberglassing First fiberglass experience not so good -- posted image., and I can't event fix it cuz I'm too busy doing stuff for other people that I have no time for my own stuff..... oh well.... just dont let little sh*t discourage you, thats how u end up failing. Best of luck with glassing and dont be afraid to ask questions First fiberglass experience not so good -- posted image.
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
if you don't mess up how will you know your doing it right in the first placeFirst fiberglass experience not so good -- posted image.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

One method that I found works if Aluminum foil.  I never had any problem with removing glass from it. 

But don't feel bad because if no one never made mistakes no one would never learn.

F8lyer8s 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  

Yea man i had the same problem with my first fiberglass job.. actually i have to disagree i think that the foil was hared to get off then the tape... i just wet the tape and lightley scraped it off...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic