icon

Audiobahn system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hoosierdaddy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, so I got all audiobahn just because I thought it'd be good to stick with the same brand for all of my stuff.
mg
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Brand matching, for the most part, doesnt matter at all. Makes it a little easier to match up numbers, for example in audiobahn, everyything is overrated on the same sliding scale so if the amp says 1200 watts and the sub says 1200 watts it should be a good match, also if the one amp says 1200 and the other says 400 then its a good bet the smaller amp is actually about 1/3 the power but as far as sound goes when its in the vehicle brand matching doesnt matter. With the exception of timbre matching the speakers its a good Idea to stay in the same brand and even more specifically the same series in that brand when choosing your coax or component speakers.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

No need to stick with the same brand and I would get out of the habit of looking at wattage so closely.  RMS wattage does not equal loudness.

I bet your infinity coax drivers and eclipse amp will sound just as good as the audiobahn setup.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
hoosierdaddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well, this is all some pretty helpful info, but since I've already bought the stuff from online stores and ebay, I really don't think I'm going to return any of it becusae it'd be too much of a pain. And I don't have time now to research a new system anyway. The only thing I might be able to replace is the subwoofer since it's on backorder. I coudl cancel it and get something else, but what to get? Like I said, I was looking at the Earthquake SWS12 but I'm not sure if they're any good. Haven't heard anything about them, plus hardly anyone online is selling it. Anyone ever heard one in person or heard good things about them? If I did go with the Earthquakes, I'd probably get 2 since they're only 300 RMS a piece (single 2-ohm coil, so get 2 and run in parallel since amp is 1-ohm stable).
mg
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

There are A LOT of quality subs out there.  How much are you looking to spend?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

He's not just looking for quality, kfr01. He also has a depth issue he has to worry about. This will limit him somewhat on his selection.

I would have to agree with most of the responses so far - I think once you get this system installed, you more than likely be disappointed with the results. But since I don't know what your listening preferences are, or what you are expecting from this new setup other than "something loud", I could be wrong. You may be surprised even. My brother in law bought a 12" audiobahn sub and says it sounds better than the 3 JL Audio 10W6's he had previously. So to each his own Audiobahn system - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
hoosierdaddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the Audiobahn AWP312T sub is between $199-$249 depending on where you get it, retail is $459. So I really don't want to spend more than $250. The Earthquake SWS12 is $179, but if I got 2, it'd be like $360, quite a bit more than what i'd like to spend.
In all seriousness though, can someone give me a few legit reason why Audiobahn is bad? Like, is it comparable to Kenwood? Alpine? Polk? Sony???? Or is this just a case of like PC users saying that Mac sucks and Mac users saying that PC sucks, just because there's some innate hatred? My first question still remains though, "will my new system sound better than my old system???"
BTW, I've used PC's and Mac's and I get along fine with both, thank you.
mg
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Well seem's everyone else here beat me to this audiobahn fest. Anyway, I can tell u from first hand experience you're going to be disappointed with the AWP's. Of all the audiobahn speakers they are the newest and the sh*ttiest. Their extended voice coils over heat like there's no tomarrow and they will literally melt to the spider and magnetic gap locking the cone in place perminately.
Contrary to what I've said in other posts I dont hate audiobahn, as in I hate everything they make. I hate everything they make that I've had (or friends that I've installed for) that has totally and completely f**ked up. Audiobahn's 'warranty' is about as valuable and redeamable as parrot sh*t. So one of 2 things is going to happen here. A)Your system will be installed and you'll listen to it in moderation a miracle will happen and nothing will go wrong, or B)you'll play it like its rated to be played and the all to common effects will kick in and all the sudden you'll have a bunch of non-functioning chrome paperweights.
In comparison, I would say event sony has the upper hand on audiobahn, hell, with their recent cuts in quality I'd event compare them to sh*t like pyramid and pyle, sony's too good of a comparison for them.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
lol xtreamcc.   this idiot the i work with just bought 2, and spent $400 so his other boss could make him a box.... can't wait till they melt...... he runs them hot most of the time, it will be any day now, i'll se if i can get some pics for you guys
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

It looks like you are really confined to space which limits your speaker sizes.  Did you take a look at the pioneer TS-SW124D.  You can find this sub for 100 each online.  I never heard one personally but you probably can hear one at a local dealer since it's pioneer. 

Audiobahn, really hits hard but there lifespans are limited.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic