icon

How Loud is a Police siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
How Loud is a Police siren? and is it only outside its not from the interior's correct?
I guess that guy has subs.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Most police sirens produce about 120db at 10 feet (with a 100 watt amplifier.)
Support the12volt.com
mobilevt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Lolzitsmtss,

I work in the EV Business... There's cheap ones, there's the good ones.  Loudest is the 200 watt Federal Signal "Q" electronic siren.  It's a processor unit the size of a 2000 watt amplifier that produces sounds exactly like the older mechanical "Q" sirens of the old days (and still made).

How loud is it?  It hurts the ears if you're not wearing ear protectors even standing behind the vehicle.

Sean

Emergency Vehicle Technician
Got Freedom? Thank a vet!
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Do they put extra soundproofing above the headliners in police cruisers? I spent a Saturday night a few weekends ago putting styrofoam insulation above the headliner in my Envoy (no, I don't have a siren ;) ). GMC feels fit to "insulate" the roofs of their SUVs with this new miracle product called Thin Air.  How Loud is a Police siren? -- posted image.
mobilevt 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  

No, no soundproofing at all.  Are you thinking that's where they put the speaker at?  It used to be in the old days where they mounted them in the lightbar.  It was abandoned due to OSHA for the officers.

They are now mounted in front of the vehicle.

Syrafoam in headliners?  Have you heard of Dynamax?

Sean

mobilevt 
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  

No, in the old days, the speaker was on the roof...

Now they are mounted up front to protect occupants from the noise.

Syrafoam in the headliner?  Haven't you heard of dynamax?  It's made specifically to deaden sound.

Sean - EVConcepts

mobilevt 
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, thought it didn't get posted so I wrote it up again!

Pressing key ONCE,...

Sean

delphidoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
mobilevt wrote:

Syrafoam in headliners?  Have you heard of Dynamax?

Dynamat costs too much. I used one 4X8' sheet of this stuff for the entire roof: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productid=15348-122-15348

It cost me about $10, plus some duct tape to hold it in place until I put the headliner back up.

Check out these prices at Crutchfield for Dynamat: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HaTdBwERi64/cgi-bin/Prodgroup.asp?g=181250&cc=01&search=dynamat

Granted it can be found cheaper at other online stores, but 32 square feet of Dynamat products there costs anywhere from $133 to $533.

The styrofoam board insulates against sound and heat at the same time. Most of the Dynamat products don't. Plus, several of these products would have to be pieced together to provide the area coverage the styrofoam board did in seven large easy-to-cut panels.

Plus, it satisfied my addiction to buy things at Lowe's or Home Depot. For one night, anyway.

delphidoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

Oops, left this out. I've also insulated the doors and side panels with a double layer of this underlayment product: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=shop_cart/pg_print_product.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1957918192.1093650238@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdladcmgimjdejcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876&prod_id=807113

The picture isn't the actual product at Home Depot. It's a green foam roll with little holes scattered along one surface. It sticks to itself pretty well when "fresh" and can be held in place with duct tape until the interior panels are put back in place. I've dropped the A-weighted road and wind noise on the same stretch of highway at 70 mph about 8 dB by insulating everything but the floor pans with these two products. It too a little over 2 rolls of this product and one sheet of the styrofoam insulation from the previous post. Maybe $70-80 total, including 2 rolls of duct tape. If I had used Dynamat to do all that it would have been hideously expensive.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
But delphidoc, the stuff you mentioned does nothing to absorb subwoofer resonance in the sheet metal.  All it does is insulate against road noise.  Would be fine to keep out a wailing siren, but in most installations of aftermarket equipment it wouldn't do the job.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic