icon

info about the fuse from this kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tylertime 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

if you run a 10 guage wire as the ground  then that 4 guage wire is being wasted.

also... your dad has nothing to worry about with the big 4 guage wire, its only there to supply electrons, it doesn't "pull" anything more than it needs whether its a 4 guage or a thin 18guage wire, the 150 amp fuse is fine, it only ensures that if there is a short somewhere  that only the fuse blows and then no more current is being passed on from the battery....but on the same hand it is large enough to allow your amp to pull that much (which it wont) but it leave headroom for other amps or..god forbid you accidently touch your power and ground wires together... it won't blow quite as quickly as a 60 amp fuse...it will blow if there is a serious short  but not on those moments when we wern't thinking (we've all done it).

there ya go  keep the wire and ground in the back with 4 guage!! its all good   i've had gm vehicles before and actually have never heard of a problem due to the amp!!

once my car didn't start though because i had the battery terminal going on/off/on/off/on/off while trying to make it screw in...waited a few minutes and the computer reset itself... wasn't a problem!   good luck

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
i think i had the same issue last night while trying to put the ground back to the bat, cus this mornin i had AC on me, and i never use the air in the car.
My dads argument is that the body isnt meant to handle that much power from the 4gauge wire, and if there isnt a good enough ground through the body, it will use the grounds of all the other electronics and so on and so forth, he doesnt believe the body will be sufficent, and thats his arugment. nonetheless- im going to try it with the 4guage to the body and call it a day, hopefully i prove him wrong, which im semi-confident i will.
but thanks guys, everyones said just use what i was given in the kit, which i'd like to, and i will once im done this post,
i think i can safely say this has been the most informational experiance i've been through in a long time, and all over something that could have been finished and enjoyed a night or even 2 ago.
i'll let you know what i think of my amp when its all hooked up
Peace
<3
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Since your Dad is a mechanic, he might enjoy reading some of this info on this site.  This page covers the amp mounting and grounding.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
if he wasnt so stubborn i'd insist on him just reading it, but he really wouldnt take that too well, but who knows. maybe in our next debate. but anyways, more importantly.
i shrugged off my dads idvice, with some pretty hefty cohoonas' if you ask me... O_O... tried it as it was always intended apoun, and such, i got it working, after i figured the problem with the rca' mix up.
anyways, what is rad, is the complete difference in clarity, the sound that my rears are producing now is so unique from anything i've heard. and to have it working with my decks output, is complete ackwardness to the ears ;O, so i have been experimenting on different ways to have the 2 working, but once the fronts dominate i cant handle the rears, and i dont want to lose the quality of the rears over the fronts after hearing them. i will be working up a fuss trying to get my kicker fronts.
Oh and i havent even figured the best EQ settings, freq, gain, full/low/high pass's i have so much more to work with in sound to my ears, its most exciting. maybe that and i had a good long O-=======-OooO oo o puffer to myself ;-) and i love listening to tunes then more so.
ok i think im an audiophile-pervert, i'll shutup
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Look, I'm a dad, have a kid already graduated from college and another in his junior year.  I learn a lot from my kids, but they may not know it.  Show him the site and tell him it's some information that could be useful to you as you grow with this hobby, but tell him there are things in there that you just don't understand.  (You wouldn't be lying.)  Then leave him alone, and don't ask about it again.  In a few days you just might see a renewed interest in all this out of him.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
well put stev, i will some how subtely swing it by him, or leave it on his computer to see in his free time, after mentioning it to him.
It most likely will come up since i used the method provided in the kit. and im happy with it.
Now paranoid or not, im curious, if there are wires i can check to see if the wires are being affected or not?
if not no worries :-). anyways, cheers im off to bed, gonna be a weird day tomorrow
PEACE
tylertime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

the body of your car is grounded.. it is used as a "common ground" it makes ZERO difference to electronic equipment if you have an amp grounded to it..this is because of that whole wire size thing.  the sum of all the electronic components in the car (including your new amp) will not need more grounding to the battery than the stock GM cable provides. and the body of your car isn't he perfect carrier of electrons due to its atomical design, but thats rediculously intense theory!!

its good enough and there is nothing to worry about,

but now that you've experienced your first taste of car audio and installing, better have a good job, cuz its a nasty habit!!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Actually dude the body of the car has everything to do with a proper ground. A proper ground will have a resistance of below 1/2 ohm. If when you sand down the metal and attach your ground wire and meter it and find that you have 23 ohms of resistance, well that good old body of the car ground return is not all that great. If the ground return resistance can be made to get below 1/2 ohm then sure it is a good ground location.

The body of a car (primariliy GM's) is not a good ground return due to a combination of crappy metals, glued together unibody panels and real crappy weld seams or tack welds that hold seat belt nuts on.

A bad ground will cause all sorts of problems for an amplifier, like excessive heat, poor output, noise, protection mode and ultimitely failure of the power supply if the amp is prone to this (like a Rockford).

Thus again a proper ground will be checked and found to be below 1/2 ohm resistance, otherwise grounding to the battery may be the best bet. Most installers in the industry do not even check or have never been trained to check for this most important factor when grounding an amp. Do yourself a favour and get into the habit of always checking this reading.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tylertime 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

oh yea

i realize that resistance will cause poor performance... i guess i wasn't thinking that there was a severe problem with this car

he should OF COURSE check the resistance, my honda shows .1 ohms from the battery to the ground i have in my hatch...and i (personally) havn't had a resistance problem with the 3 GM vehicles i've owned... but it should always be checked!!!  good call!

/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
can you suggest an ohm meter to look into, ie, brand/model, or are they all fairly standard?
i would definitely like to look into one, if im losing performance due to the body, i would really like to use my other alternative, and ground back to the battery.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic