the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

melting my fuse block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am running a MA Audio SY5011DX at 1ohm to 2 12" Fosgate hx2's with 4 gauge wire. My problem is that the battery side of the fuse block is getting so hot that its melting the plastic base and corroding. would higher gauge help this problem. the fuse is 150a.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
styper 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
How many watts are pushing?
How long is the 4 gauge wire?
S type R.
T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
I'm running it at 1ohm which its rated at 1000w for 1ohm. it roughly 17" long. I've been to a couple of stereo shops that sell amp kits for 1000 watts amps and they all had 4 gauge in them. I checked on Crutchfield on their "cable gauge selection chart" and for a 16-19" run and a 120A pull it suggests 4 gauge. My amp has 4 30a fuses on the outside so I assumed that it would pull 120A.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Um, I guess I didn't read the right way to figure out the draw of my amp. they say to double the rms wattage and then divide by 13.8 and that is the amp draw. In that case I'm drawing 144a which the chart recommends 2 gauge. Does all this sound right?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Might be engine heat affecting that portion of the wire.  I don't suppose it has a loom installed over it?  You might just replace that short section from the battery to the fuse holder, and cover the part of the wire that is in the engine bay with a loom.  You wouldn't have more than 120 amps flowing through the wire without blowing fuses in the amp.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
T.Hill 
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
This is in a Landrover Discovery and the fuseblock is in a side compartment of the battery box which is shielded from most of the engine heat. Like I said its only the side of the fuseblock that's closest to the battery. the other side isn't corroded, discolored, or melted.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

There's no resistance at the fuse.  The electric flows the same at the beginning of the wire, through the fuse, and at the end of the wire.  It doesn't make sense to me.  But it never hurts a thing to upgrade wiring.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
it could also just be a cheap fuse block.... good quality fuse holders of that amperage will be made of a bakelite composite and you can hold a propane torch to them without them melting... sounds like yours is made of plastic which will indeed melt under the current requirements you mentioned.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gtown installer 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

don't listen to anybody except for the last guy who replyed "kgerry" he knows what he is talking about.  first i would upgrade to two gauge, then i would invest in a good quality fuse holder.  If you think about it you have thick four gauge wire throughout the vehicle right? but the flow isn't the same, look how small the fuse connection is on your fuse, the amount of current allowed to pass through the four gauge wire is only the amount allowed by the fuse. voltage is like pressure, and a fuse in kinda like a resistor, its a give and take relationship when one is higher than the other.  That might be the reason for the meltdown.  good luck

gangstaville installer
T.Hill 
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I was wrong about which side was melting. It's the amp side of the fuseblock. I asked 3 different shops today about this problem. #1 said that I could upgrade to 2 or 1gauge wire, increase rating, or add another cap. #2 said to upgrade wire and get new fuseblock. #3 said it could be a bad connection on the screws that connect the fuse to the block and causing it to spark and/or heat up. He also said to solder the wire and ring terminal connection together to get better connection. since i bought the block from shop #3 the gave me a better fuse block which is the waterproof type that the case screws on from the side just like the stinger SAWFH04. I just have to change out the damaged one and give it back to them so they can warranty it out. The block I have now isn't cheap, it's just the metal is getting so hot and the plastic it's attached to is melting.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic