the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

melting my fuse block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Did that guy take you for an idiot, or is he a shining example of one?  An amp will not operate if its fuses are blown, and that's what happens if it pulls more current than the total sum of its fuses.  And for the circuit breaker, BCAE was talking about protecting equipment, not wires, so it is perfectly acceptable to protect the power wire with a breaker. 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
well this sucks since i've been trusting this same guy for about 13 years and he's never steered me wrong. He also said he wasn't impressed with my new choice for my sub amp which is a JBL 2200.1. I mean if Biggs and Eldridge use them they should be pretty good.
I must have just misunderstood the bcae site when i read it. Should I find a circuit breaker with the same fuse rating as my current fuse?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Then I would have to say he was referring to the comparison of output against something other than the amp's fuse rating.  I guess.  But what does he advise over the JBL?  The breaker just has to be of a higher rating than the sum of the amp fuses.  Here is one that is rated close.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ramboy 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=flynntech]

Let's undo this gross misuse of terminology right now.....voltage is potential.

Close but I think you mean voltage is the differenece of potential.

if i just cut the red wire....no the green wire ,, oh damnit i'm so screwed..
stevdart 
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

The important thing to know about a fuse is that it is a safety device.  It is designed to burn out in a controlled and safe manner when the amperage flow through it exceeds its rating.  It is not a control valve, or a floodgate, that controls the flow of amperes.  Its relative size has nothing to do with anything, meaning one cannot judge a fuse by comparing it to the thickness of the adjoining wiring.  That also means that the amperage flow is not bottled up in the portion of wire before the fuse and only allowed to trickle through the fuse at the fuse's amp rating.  That is a decidedly totally wrong impression of what a fuse does.

The amplifier puts the demand on the power source (alternator and battery).  The amplifier is the control device.  The alt and battery are its servants and the power wire and in-line fuse are the conduit that carries the amperage.  There is resistance in every component of an electrical system, the fuse being one, the wire also being one.  That doesn't mean that the fuse and wire should be called "resistors".  Because they provide some resistance doesn't make them resistors.  If that were the case everything we deal with in a system would be called a resistor.

This is a response, not to the original post, but to a respondent earlier on who implied that I didn't know what I was talking about and then went on to describe an erroneous idea of what a fuse does.  Since both fusing and grounding share the status of being the most critical elements in an car audio system, I wanted to clear that up.

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

RAMBOY: "Close but I think you mean voltage is the differenece of potential."

Yup, that's what I meant. ;)

flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Wow......double the fuse values...double the bass?

how much crack is this guy smoking?

A breaker will open quick enough if the positive wire is pinched and shorted to the body of the car, which is all it needs to do. It won't matter if it's 150A or 500A. The moment that wire shorts to ground, that breaker going to flip. Since such a short would demand full current from the battery/alt the voltage at the amp would be 0, not likely to get damaged.

JBL makes good amps. You should go back and talk to this guy everyday, just to post what he said here. This nonsense is getting better and better!

T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure I could come up with a different question everyday just to go in there. I will say that this is a first for him though. My main pet peeve is when a sales guy trashes everything except for what he sells. This guy just said he wasn't "impressed" with the JBL and tried to sell me on a Treo 1500.1. He told me that it would put out 3250wts at .25ohm's. I told him "who the drives around running .25ohm's?" At 1ohm its rated at 1500wts, but it costs over a grand. Umm, nope, not sold on it. He said the the technology that Crown/JBL is pushing is old stuff, not new. I believe that they have never said it was new, just new to the car audio scene.
I'll get the new wire in tuesday and most likely get in installed by wednesday.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'll look for a bigger circuit breaker tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice guys.
flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

yup...... one qaurter ohm impedence....very usefull.

Being that JBL/crown is a division of the Harmon Cardon company or something like that, I'm sure thier products are perfectly fine for audio use.

Regardless of whether technology is new or old....an amp is an amp. I have an old school Kenwood home reciever with dual power suplies and FET amps (field effect transistors). It must be from the late sixties, it's rated at 90 watts total, but it absolutely cranks. Match it to the right speakers and you have more sound than you could ever possibly need in one house....unless ofcourse, there is a party of some sort.

3200 watts???  what is the need for that much power?  Sure, 3.2kW, what about the electrical system? 

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic