icon

Run 2 1200.1’s off one run 0/1ga?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 runs of 0/1 ga wire for my 2 1200.1 kicker amps and am currently using a chassis ground. I would like to use my second run for connecting directly to battery ground from cap/amp ground.

So, do you think it would be okay to use only one run of 0/1ga and split it from the capacitor to both amps? I would like to avoid having to run any more 0/1 ga through the car. But I will if it's what it takes.

A

boom, boom, boom boom....
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
I would run 0/1 ga. from the battery to the cap, then to a distribution block, and have 4 ga from the distribution to the amps.  Not too many amps can handle a clean connection with wires larger than 4 ga.
Do it right the first time
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
ray has a good point. just use a distro. block for your amps.... can i ask why you want to run the ground to the battery? did you have problems with your chassis ground?
ice4life8269 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
or maybe you could just re-groung the chasis with 0/1, and keep your amp grounds where they are... just a thought
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

The reason I was going to switch one of the hot 0/1ga wires is that I have always heard that you should have a ground all the way to battery for high current applications. I haven't tested the chassis resistance but I haven't had any issues either. 

boom, boom, boom boom....
ice4life8269 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
i could be wrong, but i think you'll be fine if you run the ground from the batt to the chasis, and use the same gusge in the back, but i don't know who told you that about grounding, or why, but i'm almost certain that your chasis will be your best bet
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

raydawg357 wrote:
I would run 0/1 ga. from the battery to the cap, then to a distribution block, and have 4 ga from the distribution to the amps.  Not too many amps can handle a clean connection with wires larger than 4 ga.
I have no clue what he wants to do and makes no sense.

Do as raydawg357 Run the 0/1 guage for both ground and power, then have a distro block that outputs 4 guage to the amp /cap. Just simple as that your making it harder on your self. And if your chasis is bad, then run the ground directly from the battery with a 0/1 and converted it out to a 4 gauge with a ground distroblock. 

Im i right Rawdawg? 

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

Exactly.  Running more 0/1 ga wire through your car would be overkill.

Do it right the first time
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Run one from the battery to a dist. block. Ground it on the chassis. That groung would be too long and your amp would probably overheat like hell.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
i was always told that the ground should be like 18" and as big or bigger than the wire from the battery.
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic