icon

load calculation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevymac 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
How do I calculate the load at which my amps will run? For example, I see that some amps can push out more power running at 2 ohms versus 4 ohms. Do I need one of those DMM meters to do this, or is there a way to at least guesstimate until I can purchase one? I'm not trying to melt anything if at all possible including power leads and especially any of my equipment.
If you think I can help, ask me... I'll try my best!
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Each Amp has its own Specifications, ie (500w @4ohms mono) you just need to check different amps until you find what will be most compatible to your subs. If you have amps with no owners manual, you can try a search online to find your model and its specs.
kevymac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
So then if the amp says 500w @ 4ohms or 750w @ 2 ohms and the speakers are dual 4 ohm voicecoils then does that mean an amp that can run @ 4ohms is alright? What if the amp can run either 4 or 2 ohm? How does one change that... a selector switch or different gauge speaker wire or power lead wire?
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

you can get those speakers down to a 4 ohm load so that you will get 500 watts to the subs. You change the ohm load by the wiring of the subs, either series or parallel. Check out the General Info section of this site and mess with the parallel and series calculator. If  you want to get a better understanding of all of this i would recommend you take some time and look over this site www.bcae1.com        later

dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
listen, most amps can operate between 2-8 ohms. depending on how u wire your subs will determine the ohm "load". use rockford fosgates woofer wiring wizard under support website.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
2-8? more like 1-4
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
if your talking mono than most amps are 2-4 ohm loads and in stereo the run 1-8 ohms. The simple calculation is voice coil 1 X voice coil 2, divided by voice coil 1 + voice coil 2. Use that to calculate your impedence.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kevymac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks to all of you who answered and for being patient with a newbie like myself.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

An amplifier will operate into whatever load you place on it.  The load is measured in ohms.  The number of ohms is determined by the wiring of the speakers, the amp does not determine this.  Amplifiers include ratings listing potential output into various ohm loads, and listing the MINIMUM safe load that must be placed on the amp.  If a lower load (number of ohms) is on the amp, it will shut down or blow a fuse or fry (AKA smoke.)  But there is really no practical maximum.  The total power output of an amplifier will simply vary depending on the total load, due to Ohm's Law (and other phenomenon.)  You can load an amp with as many speakers as you like as long as the wiring is such that the minimum total impedence load is not exceeded.  Some arrangements, of course, sound better than others.

If you have a specific application in mind, list your speakers (make and model) and your amp (make and model) and we can help you determine the best way to wire it so you get the most out of your amp without overloading it and without blowing your speakers.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic