icon

sub suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robbyrob717 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
i apologize for posting that twice i tried to stop it in time to add the last part about the ohms but i guess it was too late. again sorry.
94 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1 V6
alpine deck
audiobahn 3.5 fronts w/ tweeters
audiobahn 6.5 rears w/ tweeters
* sold rest of system to save up towards new car. $3000 spent on it.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  

The Kappa Perfect will be under powered, someone said that before and they are right.  Personally I would go with a JL Audio 10w0, or 12w0, both will give good sound quality and volume.  I only say a 12 because it will be marginaly more then the 10 and the extra output will be there should you want it.  What are you putting this in? Truck, car, suv, ect.  http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/w0.html  I cannot disagree with the recomendation of the Rockford Stage1, Kicker Comp.  However in my mind, if the prices were equal I would take the JL's.  Good luck, let everyone know what you get.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Dont use the stage 1 rockfords. They have serious quality control issues this year. The cones will either seperate from the surround or the cones will just plain crack clear through.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

jakediggity wrote:
I think i might go with a kappa perfect 10, would that work well?  Also what do you think of the mrv-f340 (i noticed you're selling it) would it be all right to power two diamond audio 4's and the perfect?

The 340 will power your diamond audio's very whell.  Im only selling my 340 because i want to get 2 MRV-T420's, , im useing type-x components in the future and they need alot of clean power, plus im a big "over do it" kinda guy haha.

I was running a Alpine Type-E 12" bridged off channel 3/4 of the 340 in a 1.25 cube sealed box and it shook my truck pretty good, it impressed me since it only puts out like 100 rms bridged.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jakediggity 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everybody thanks for the input, this is for a 96 toyota avalon.  I think i might go with the JL's, i found one at onlinecarstereo.com for 100 bones, is that a deal?  anyway keep the suggestions comin if you got anymore.

jakediggity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a wiring question now that deals with this setup.  I have an ALpine cda-9835 and i have it wired directly to the battery with 10 gauge wire becuase the manual says to. Now, i need to run this amp to the battery with a 10 guage power wire as well and was wondering if i should use a distrobution block right after the firewall hidden behind the pedals to split the power wire so one can power the head unit and one can power the amp? or should i just run two seperate power wires?  Now for a while im just running four 4 inch speakers off the amp until i get my sub and i realize that the head unit wont need that power because i can turn off the IC power output from the deck, however once the subs in I need the deck power to run the 4's in the back because the amp will be preoccupied with the 4's in the front and the sub in the back so i need to no how to rig this.  And i absolutely do not want to tap into my ignition harness or fuse box or any other 12v source other than the battery because my parents would kill me if they found out, cause they are currently the owners of the car and i dont like cutting factory wires.  So with that said lets hear what you guys have to say, thanks.
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:
Dont use the stage 1 rockfords. They have serious quality control issues this year. The cones will either seperate from the surround or the cones will just plain crack clear through.
I would have to agree. I went to Best Buy and was just browsing there prices on fosgate, sonys, pioneer, infinity, kenwood car audio products.
I came along the rockford subs, i belive there stage 1 or 2, these subs were in a sealed box on the floor, which was powered by an amp in the wall which you can press on and off to test the subs.
I noticed that the fosgate were wired to a sony 2200gtx amp, and while they guy was messing with it, i noticed a crack on the cone.
I told him "look at what you did" he told me its been just like the rest of them.
i looked around and
Every Fosgate stage 1 / 2 all had cracks on the cone.
WOW!
jakediggity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I've been doin some thinking and i really dont want a huge jump of frequencies from the 4's up front and the sub in back, im afraid that its going to be too high pitched in the front and then a bunch of bass comin from the back.  I'd like a sub or maybe even a midbass that would blend very nicely with the 4's up front and in the back door.  Also if this could be fixed by adjusting crossovers or eq's list that as well.  And i have two questions still up above that i was wondering about thanks.

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

Bass frequencies are non-directional, set your crossover low to minimize a directional sound from the bottom end.  Besides that, what do you plan to use up front?  If you don’t have them already, plan to get a decent pair of components, and get them as big as you can.  Most 4” can be adapted to 5.25 or even 6.5” speakers with a 10-dollar adapter.  I do not know specifically about Avalon’s though, go to a pro shop and see what they recommend doing when it comes to getting a larger speaker size up-front.  Remember you do not have to buy from them.  I use a component up-front, sub in the rear set up in all three of my cars (1991 Honda civic, 2002 Subaru legacy, 1995 GMC suburban) and it sounds great.  Only the suburban has any rear-fill at all, and they are JL 5.25” in the waaay back faded out, and run off the deck.  I don’t understand what you are worried about with the power wire and the deck.  Just buy a wiring harness.  But yeah, if you want to use a distribution block, that’s fine for this situation. 

jakediggity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

Im not sure if i want a bass frequency or anything below 50-70 hz in the back.  I already have ordered diamond audio 4 inch components for the front and some kappa 4's in the back that are going to be powered by the amp and deck respectively (amp in 3-channel runnin diamonds and sub).  What im asking is if it will sound bad having the 4's running and then a 10 in the back, it seems like such a big size jump and i cant do anything about the 4's now so i have to use them.  The deck needs a power wire to clear up your confusion and it cant use the harness' because it is too small, but im not worried about that anymore you answered my question about that, thanks.  But now i would like someone to reccomend a setup that will blend nicely using 4's in front and some kinda bass/ midbass in the back. thank you.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic